- 20 -

sorry that last chapter was so bad, i needed to bridge these two scenes together somehow and that pile of trash ended up coming out instead
:::(

After lunch, Beverly stood up and stretched. "That was probably one of the best lunches I've had in a while," she said as her arms fell to her sides. Ben wiped his mouth with a napkin and nodded. "Yeah. Nice job on the sandwiches." Bill and Beverly glanced at each other, smiling when they made eye contact.

Beverly gathered her things and returned back into the kitchen. "I'll see you later guys," she said before poking Eddie in the arm. "Talk to him," she whispered sternly. Eddie's shoulders dropped. "I know," he said and slapped her hand away.

Beverly waved to her friends before letting herself
out. A saddened expression crossed Bill's face as the door closed. Ben watched as Bill's hand fell to his plate.

"You really like Beverly, huh?" Ben asked. Bill's eyes shot up to Ben and a small smile appeared on his face. "Yeah.." he said softly. "I mean, w-who couldn't? She's soft, she's p-pretty-"

"She's an angel," Ben interrupted.

Ben's eyes widened when he realized what he had said. Bill's eyes narrowed and he stared at the boy sitting across from him. Eddie sucked in a breath and looked anywhere besides his two friends. The room got strangely silent. Ben shifted in his seat.

"I think I'm gonna go," Eddie said to fill the awkward silence and stood up, grabbing his plate. "Me too!" Ben said and slid out of his chair. He and Eddie walked to the sink, their dishes clinking when stacked on top of each other.

Bill followed the two into the living room as they gathering their things. "Thanks for letting me freak out over my problems," Eddie said with a nervous smile. Ben opened the door and waited for Eddie. "O-of course. Do we g-get to figure out w-what happened?" He asked and Eddie's eyes studied the floor. "I think I'm going to go over to his house now."

Ben's eyes snapped over to him. "You are?" Eddie turned around and nodded. "Yeah. I mean, might as well get it over with." Bill hummed in response. "That's good," he said.

Bill walked Eddie to the door and watched as the two walked out. "Thanks for inviting me over," Ben said as he walked down the porch steps. Bill shifted his weight to the other foot and looked away. "Sure.." The two waved bye to Bill and he closed the door.

"Eddie!" Ben said and smacked a hand to his cheek. Eddie looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "I'm dead meat! Bill is going to kill me!" Eddie chuckled lightly and shook his head. "You were pretty obvious about your crush on Bev.."

Ben groaned and picked up his bike. "He's going to kill me! I just know it!" He said, laying his forehead on his bike handle. Eddie shifted his weight to the other foot. "It's going to be okay," said Eddie reassuringly. "It's Bill, he's not going to do anything."

"What do you mean 'not do anything'? Richie and Bill literally fought each other last year," he said. Eddie bit his lip and shrugged. "Yeah.. I forgot about that."

Ben sighed deeply and got onto his bike. "Good luck," Eddie said as he kicked off. Ben breathed out a nervous laugh and nodded. "You too. With Richie."

~~~

Eddie looked up the tree, knowing he'd have to climb it if he wanted to see Richie. Breathing in, he nodded a determined nod and jumped for the first branch. He grabbed onto it and began to slowly climb. By the time he scrambled onto the roof, his hands were red and a small cut lined is left wrist. "Shit," he muttered and shook his hands.