- 18 -

The silence was deafening. Sonia's head moved to the side, her eyes never break contact. She closed her mouth and opened it again. "Gay?.. Eddie.." He pushed himself farther into the back of the chair, a sob waiting in his throat. She reached across the table and placed a hand onto his. His eyes darted to it, the urge to pull it back made his bones ache.

She placed her other hand over her heart and closed her eyes. Shaking her head, she put both her hands to the table and pushed herself up. "Go to your room. I.. I have someone I need to talk to."

Eddie began to cry. The hurt and confusion swirled up his throat, closing in on itself. "Why?" He cried out, watching with blurry vision as Sonia pushed her foot into the shoe.

She walked back into the kitchen and placed her purse on the kitchen table, next to the forgotten food. "Oh, Eddie-Bear," she said softly and placed a hand on his chin. He shuddered at the contact, desperately wanting to dodge out of her way.

Tears glimmered in her own eyes, her mouth in a sad line. "You're sick." The words that fell from her mouth was like a punch in the gut. A whimper escaped as her hand fell from his face. "I'll get you better. No more placebos. A different medicine.. yes," she quietly rambled on as she got her keys.

Eddie forced himself to stand. His legs felt like static and he gripped onto the edge of the table for balance. "No." Sonia turned around. "Excuse me? This isn't the time to talk back. You need my help," she said and moved a strand of hair out of her face. "Go to your room. I'll be back soon," she quickly added.

Next thing he knew he was in his room. His jumpy legs brought him to his bedside table, his hand wrapping around his inhaler and bringing it to his lips.

He pushed the trigger and breathed in deeply. Closing his eyes, he steadied his breathing and brought his hands to his chest. Once he calm down enough to get his thoughts straight, he pushed his inhaler into his fanny pack.

The front door closed and the car started up from outside. Eddie went to the window and watched as his mother backed out of the driveway. Tears welled up in his eyes again and he grabbed his curtains before pulling them closed.

With the lights out and the sunlight blocked, Eddie's room got a shade darker. He climbed into bed and got under the covers. It was only 6:48, but the mental exhaustion Eddie felt was enough for him to pass out.

But he didn't pass out, not right away, anyway. He laid in bed and stared up at the ceiling. Tears fell out of the edges of his eyes and down the sides of his face. A tear fell into his ear and, cringing, rolled onto his side and pushed his face into his pillow.

His thoughts flashed to Richie. Only if Richie hadn't kissed him, he wouldn't be in this situation. But if it wasn't for Richie, Eddie would probably still be in denial..

He breathed in shakily and shut his eyes, tiredness overtaking him.

~~~

Sonia called Eddie down for breakfast the next morning. "We have a big day in front of us, Eddie," she said as Eddie sat down across from her. He was extremely hesitant to come down from his room, but he knew the outcome if he disobeyed her.

"Eat up, but not too quickly." Eddie looked at the pancakes and slid into his chair. He pushed it back slightly and pulled his legs to the legs of the chair, trying to put as much space between him and his mom without being obvious.

"Where.. where are we going?" Eddie refused to touch the food. His stomach was already filled with dread, he didn't need to fill it more. "I went to go visit an old friend," Sonia explained. "His son was also sick, but they fixed it. It's a miracle how they did it so quickly. I'm going to get you to that place, too, Eddie-Bear. Don't worry."