Chapter One: Kimberly

Kimberly 

The wind blowing felt good against my skin as I stand in the garden helping attend to the growing fruits and vegetables. It was beautiful outside today and as the sun shined on us; the gardener was teaching us how to water plants the correct way. The woods are quiet and peaceful when everyone is busy, which differs from the day when everyone is home and moving around. I'm Kimberly, a 22-year-old werewolf that lives on Hamilah's pack grounds. Hamilah is the name of one of our ancestors that died after finding this land for us to build on in honor of his sacrifice. His son named the pack after him. The pack has been in the Monero family ever since and they have been our alphas. Alpha's run the pack and they keep all of their wolves safe, no matter the cost. Our current Alpha Carter Monero will step down soon and his son Mitchelle will be returning to take his place.

"Are you paying attention?" the gardener asks, with her hands on her hips. I give her a half smile and nod my head as she continues to talk to us about gardening for the pack. The only reason I left the comfort of my room and came to help is because she knocked on my room door asking for help and it looked like she needed it. Our pack house is something you would see in human movies. It is huge and can hold about 80 people in one house. Outside of the pack house, we have separate family homes and single living spaces. I lived in the pack house because it is quiet since the Alpha lives here and who would want to disturb him?

We were moving on the learning how to pull the plants from the ground when there was a commotion coming from the woods area making us all alert. Slowly, we all moved back towards the house so that whatever was out there couldn't attack us. Yes, we are werewolves, but I don't think any of us here had been to any training. The guards come out and some of them have blood on them and some are limping.

"Move into the pack house now," one said, gently pushing us to the house. When we enter the back door, the Alpha and Luna are coming down the stairs to meet with the guard.

"What happened out there?" Alpha Carter asks. He walks up to the guard, and the guard tells him how they were ambushed by hunters while trying to keep the perimeter secure.

"They came out of nowhere, sir. We tried not to hurt any of them since we know we have an agreement, but we also had to protect ourselves."

Of course, our Alpha understood, telling him they did a good job. He told the guard that he would check up on the other warrior, who they took to the hospital, before turning around to us.

"What you all just heard is not a reason to be fearful, as we have things under control. I want you to keep your eyes open in case you see anything." Walking back over to his wife he held her hand as he spoke, "For the next few days we will be on lockdown and though I know some may not agree I want to keep you safe."

The look on every's face was of disapproval, but I wasn't mad at the decision he made. Heading to my room, I open the door and head to the closet, picking out a pair of shorts and a tank top. Walking to my dresser, I grab a pair of underwear and head to the bathroom, sitting everything down before turning on the water. I undress and throw my clothes in the hamper as I wrap my 4c hair into a puffball and place a bonnet over it. The moment I step in, the warm water hits my skin, making me relax as the day washes away. 

Long showers just make me feel better as I step my feet onto the mat and wrap the dry towel around me. I was planning to air dry when my room door flew open and closed with Ashley standing there smiling like a creep.

"How is my beautiful best friend?" she asks, sitting in my vanity chair.

"I'm fine. What do you want?" raising an eyebrow, I sit down on my bed grabbing the lotion off of my table.

"I am offended," she says dramatically, holding her chest. "Why do you think I want something?"

When you know someone for a long time, you learn things about them, including their tone when they're up to something. Instead of responding to her, I just continue to lotion my body.

"Okay fine I heard about a party that's happening tonight and I want you to come with me."

"I don't know if you haven't heard, but the alpha placed us on lockdown."

She lets out a dramatic sigh and throws herself on the edge of the bed. "I turned 21 last week and haven't been able to have any real fun, Kim. Please, just one night, "Shaking my head no I grab my shorts and slip them under the towel and my tanktop over the towel before pulling it off and placing it into the hamper. 

As I exit the bathroom, she's still pouting trying to look at me with her sweet brown eyes. The last time we snuck out was years ago and I can't lie, it was a good time. What could one night of fun hurt right?

"Fine. but we will not be getting drunk and we will come home at a decent time." She jumps for joy and hugs me tight, happy that I agreed to go.

"What would I do without you?" she asks and walks out of the room and returns with a box in her hand. "I got you this to wear and I will be back once it's time to go."

She didn't lie because exactly at 11:30 she was at my door again, lightly tapping as she walked in. My outfit is a pink mini-skirt, a black crop top with babe written in pink, and thigh-high boots. Picking a simple black purse from my closet, I also grab the matching jacket and my look is complete, nothing too much but just right, and it hugged each curve perfectly. I molded my hair back into a ponytail with two curled strands of hair at the front of my head.

"Damn you look good," she mind-linked. So that we won't make any extra noise, we decided to mind-link each other, which is just when we talk to each other in our minds. We head for the stairs and out the front door when a guard car pulls up and I almost take off running back inside.

"Slow down he's helping us." She was right because the guard got out of the car and opened the door for us. We drove to this party, and she thanked him as we got out and headed inside. You could smell all the humans inside, but I ignore that when Ashley grabs my arm and pulls me to the bar to sit down. After a few drinks, we head to the dance floor together, dancing on each other. We weren't drunk but just buzzed enough to feel it and have fun. Ashley freezing up made me look back at her, confused until I followed her gaze.

Standing at the door was Mitchelle Monero, the alpha's son, and he was looking directly at me with a look that wasn't so happy. As he walked over to us, I wondered how fast I could run to the door, but as an alpha, he could probably catch me. My wolf was also going off in my head the moment he stopped in front of us.

"Follow me," he says as we head out of the door back to the pack house. The look on his face was mad and I knew Ashley and I were in trouble.