Introduction: An Untimely End

Darkness has fallen over the town. There's not a cloud in the sky and the moon is no where to be seen. Even the stars refuse to show themselves tonight. The only hint of light is offered by the weak gas street lamps on the corners of the sidewalks. No on should be out right not in the pitch darkness, especially in this part of town. There's no telling who, or what, you'll run into here.

But nonetheless, there is someone out. Her shadow falls on the pavement as she checks over her shoulder for what seems like the millionth time. She knows she shouldn't be out, she knows what happens to those who are. She picks her pace up, trying to keep her footsteps as quiet as possible. She pulls the hood of her sweatshirt down farther as she continues on. She's breathing heavy and sweat has started to drip down the middle of her back, the droplets following her spine. Her phone vibrates in her pockets, but she refrains from checking it, as the light from the screen would only draw more attention to her.

An owl screeches from a tree and she jumps in surprise. She attempts to calm her pulse down but cannot as the looming thought of where she is enters her thoughts again. She knows she's doomed and only has hours to live. She never should have left her dorm room.