Chapter 17 - Mine

(This book is currently under construction,hence new chapters as of 02/11/2019 as I work to complete the entire book. So if you get this notification it's best not to read this chapter out of nowhere if you're not reading the book. Thank you.)

Chapter 17 – Mine.

"I'm a fireline, remember? We burn."

His delivery was so deadpan, the flame dying fast in his palm as he scrunched his fist closed as if ashes would trickle should he open it. "Don't get too excited, it's practically a cheap party trick. This is nothing." He opened his palm. Gone.

Despite my voice barely being able to come out at all, I found it in its quiet and unsettled place. "Compared to?"

"Wouldn't you like to know." He pasted a smile to his lips. "But who says we need to share everything, right?"

I got the reference. "That's not fair. It took you long enough."

"Yeah? And it's taking you even longer."

Dante wasn't having it. I couldn't say I blamed him. I'd probably have done the same but I'd rather he not do as I do, thanks.

He decided it was time to leave my humble little abode of dark revelations and others yet to be revealed. His hand on the door handle, he hesitated, then gripped it knuckle white tight, and lowered his gaze for a moment as if thoughts blustered in his head before he finally pulled the door open.

"I almost lost my job at one point because of you," I said as soon as he did it. I'd rushed that out toward him like a gust meant to shut the door. He turned only just. He wouldn't give me his eyes, just the keen sense of his ear to my outburst.

"I told you that, right?" I asked, coming closer and catching his head turn. "You've been this huge thing in my life ever since you cropped up out of nowhere in your shiny silver car and more so since the Rayflower event when Jacey told me I could be replaced. Did you ever stop to think about everything I had to deal with because of you? The secret I held about you when Jacey asked me if I was okay the morning after the night before? I knew about you then and I didn't say anything. I've had so many losses and near losses that sometimes I don't know what else there is to lose. And then I realise what I'm trying to protect, and yeah, maybe it's me, maybe it's you, maybe it's someone else. Maybe I'm trying to protect the few things I still have left in my life when nothing else remains."

I don't know what I needed him to do or say right now, or even what I was hoping for. Not entirely. His reaction was unexpected whichever way you slice it. You'd think the candle softened his face but that wasn't it. He was a word away from a question that hung off his lips but never made it out. A blink away from a realisation he kept to himself. He even took his hand from the door like maybe we had more chances to rewrite the last minute or two as if we both had steps to retake. I could count the questions he had without knowing what a single one of them were. But as all of it settles over his face, it's not a question he leaves me with.

"I won't let nothing remain," he said. "It won't ever have to be that way."

If only. "No one can predict that."

"I didn't say I was predicting anything. I said I was guaranteeing it."

For the second time my heart thumped louder than thoughts when he got closer. So loud I wondered if he could hear it when getting close meant my arms slipped around his neck. Taking a breath when I sank closer, my face pressed into it. He made a sound that almost couldn't handle the warmth of my breath on his skin and squeezed me, need in his clutch as his breath fanned my hair. Mm. This felt good. I knew the space he filled here would be empty soon. He couldn't stay here forever. He'd stuck around long enough.