Chapter 30 - The Fire Within

Oi oi People!

_Arizonaaaa has this chappy's dedi :)

Right, so after this story got plagiarized I thought stuff wattpad. I don't trust it with ANY of my shit anymore. I just wasn't gonna update any of my stories. And true-say having skimmed a bit of the last few chappies back I feel like it needs a re-write anyway, work still to be done...but still...

Then that girl decided to post again and I thought, why am I gonna let this chick win? She got her account back, everything back, and I just thought fu*k this bitch, I WILL update. There's no real punishment on wattpad so I'm more than a little disillusioned with this place. But I did think if that **** (yes this word is too bad to print but that's how I feel) can still update after all that, then I'm not gonna let her stop me. But if that crap happens again and some other dickhead tries it, I'm done with this place. I will be saying F U Wattpad, Sayonara.    

**I want to send a special shout out to pllumsauce who made a poster for this story. I love it and I want to share her work and show it to the WORLD!! I've just put it in the side for you all to see :) Much love to you pllumsauce, it was such a lovely surprise and put a huge smile on my face :D WHOOP!! **                  

                                               Chapter 30 - The Fire Within

If Nera wanted to shake me to my very core with just one simple sentence, she'd done it.

I watched as Nera's eyes pinned themselves to every possible section outside, locking tight as though to miss even the smallest thing would cause something unimaginable. Her eyes combed through the darkness like a seasoned marks-woman, as if she knew her target and could pull him out of even the tightest most minute of places.

"What are you saying?" I said with a forced calm, but briefly wondered why I asked. I think I knew what she was saying.

Her hands showed me the kind of trigger-fingers that just itched for a target. She acted as though she was ready, she clearly anticipated the worst and I could see she was expecting complete upheaval. That worried the shit out of me.

I didn't know what the worst could possibly be, but there was something about Nera that made me wonder where exactly she'd been hiding all this time. There was something about her that was screaming at me that not all was what it seemed, that she hadn't just been hiding somewhere for her own safety; she'd been acclimatizing somehow. Her stronger build, her fighter instinct, the command she had of her weapon...it all told me...something, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Or maybe I could.

She'd adapted.

This "new kind of world" she'd spoken of earlier had me believing that if I was going to survive this as she had, I would have to adapt, because Nera, well, she'd most certainly adapted by the looks of it. She didn't seem at all shaken by all that was presenting itself to us, she didn't even seem fazed, just...curiously adept and she'd clearly come equipped with a new skill-set she'd attained from someplace unknown.

Nera said nothing to me as she crouched in an attempt to reduce her visibility at the window. She just kept focused, her eyes peeled like the sniper she resembled. She raked every inch of space ahead of her, and I followed the trail left by her line of sight to see if I could spot anything too, to see what she was trying to see. The trees branches moved as if an essence other than wind was writhing through its leaves, resembling the ever increasing eeriness and disquiet of the night.