Chapitre 13E

“Mr. O’Neil won’t sign the paper unless you go get your things. He request that you go there personally.”

Ann stared at her lawyer with disbelieve. Why did he make such request? It shouldn’t be a problem because she didn’t ask for anything. He should rush it so he can marry Vicky. After all, took him long enough to leave the States. Probably planning their wedding. She thought bitterly.

“I don’t see why I should go. I can send someone to pick them up.” She said bitterly.

“I say to just go and get your thing so this can be done with, Ann.” Dom said walking up to her and stood beside her.

“I don’t want to go. I don’t want to see him.” She said.

“He asked me to give you this.” Her lawyer said and gave her an envelope.

Ann frowned and took the envelope. She held it in front of her staring at it and afraid to open it. Afraid that whatever was in there will hurt her even more. Maybe a wedding invitation? The thought of it was too painful for her to bear. Trying so hard to contain herself and she could feel her hand shaking.

Her lawyer stood up. “He has the right to request. If you like for this to be over quick, you should just go and get your things.” He grabbed his things. “Contact me if you need me.”

Ann nodded and stood up.

“I’ll walk you out.” Dom said to the lawyer.

Holding the envelope in her hand, she watched her lawyer leaves with her brother. Looking down the envelope in her hand, she hesitated before opening it. The paper contained only one line that read:

‘If you desperately want this divorce, come get your things and I’ll gladly sign your divorce paper.’

Bastard! Angry, she crumbled the paper and threw it across the room. ‘My divorce paper?’ She didn’t want this divorce.

Dom walked in and saw the crumbled paper by the couch. “What’s wrong?” Ann didn’t answer but pouted. Dom grabbed her shoulder and turned her toward him. “Listen, I understand it’s hard for you.” He looked down at her with a frown. “Maybe it’s time for you to talk to him.” Ann opened her mouth to protest. “And,” He continued before she could protest. “And maybe what you think is not what it seems.” He squeezed her shoulders and smile warmly before leaving.

Ann frowned. She knew what Dennis wanted and that’s a divorce. Maybe her brother was right; she should go and confront him. Besides, she has no other option it is the only way he will sign the paper. She might as well go and get this over with.

***

For a long moment, Ann stood at the front entrance and stared at the house. When she got on that plane at the States, she didn’t think she would step back into this house. With so many memories, she couldn’t bear to set her foot here.

Maruree saw Ann and rushed to her. “Oh, khun Ann!” She hugged Ann with excitement. “I am so happy to see you.” She said pulling away and looked at Ann. “Where have you been? I thought you would come back with Khun Dennis.” Ann smiled weakly.

As of sensing him, she glanced up and saw Dennis stood by the entrance. Their eyes locked. Ann didn’t know how to react, with a mixture of happy and hurt. She also noticed something difference in him, the way he looked at her.

Ann turned back to Maruree and smiled. “I am happy to see you, too.” She swallowed a lump in her throat. “But I’m here to get my things.” She said shifting her eyes at Dennis who still has his eyes on her.

She slowed made her way up the steps and stopped in front of him. She glanced up and met his gaze. They stood there for a moment in silent. Either was afraid to say anything to each other.

“D-Do you have the paper ready?” Ann choked out.

Dennis frowned. He kept his gaze on her as if trying to read her. “Yes.” He said and walked in the house.

Ann frowned and in a way she was disappointed. But why should she because she knew all along he wanted a divorce. He didn’t want this marriage and he made that very clear the day of the wedding. She followed him to the study.

Dennis grabbed the white envelope on his desk. He stood there for a moment staring at it while Ann waited by the door. He let out a deep breath and turned to her. Without any word, he hand her the envelope.

Ann stared at the envelope in his hand. Her heart pounding against her chest, she didn’t know what to do. Is this what she wants? Can she leave him? Is this actually happening? Are they finally going to be divorce and go their separate way? Tears forming in her eyes, she reached for the envelope with shaky hand. It was what he wants. She kept reminding herself and took the envelope.

She quickly turned toward the door. “I’ll get my things.” She couldn’t look at him any longer without breaking down. She didn’t want him to see or know how much she loved him.

“I was wrong.” He said before she could leave. “I didn’t think there was such woman in this world that would love me for who I was and not because of my money or my job, until I met you.” Ann stood frozen in place. “I never thought I could love anyone. I didn’t think there is such thing as happily married.”

Before Ann could react, he came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her. Ann sucked in her breath in surprised. “Why?” He whispered, holding her close. “Just when I finally believe it could happen to me, everything falls apart.”

Tearing rolling down her cheeks. “Because you didn’t want it.” She said softly.

“How do you know I didn’t want it?”

“Yes, you want it.” She said with tears. “But just not with me.”

He shook his head and hugged her tight. “No. You are the only woman I want.”

“Please…” She cried. “Don’t make this any harder for me.” She whispered. “I have nothing but to wish you and Vicky happiness.”

“I don’t’ want Vicky.” He said turning her to him. “It’s you I want. I asked you to meet me at the jewelry store because I have picked this out for you.” He reached into his pocket and brought out a small black velvet box.

“But Vicky…”

He shook his head. “She just happened to be there. You left before I could explain.”

Still having a hard time believing him. “But why didn’t you…”

“I came after you, but there was problem with the busy and I have to stay behind.” Ann frowned and shook her head. He didn’t want to lose her, so he grabbed her and hold her tight. “What can I do to prove to you that I truly…love you.” He cupped her face in his hand. “I couldn’t bear losing you. I love you Ann and only you. Don’t go.” He said with tears. “Stay with me.”

Ann was overwhelm and didn’t know what to say. Was she dreaming? It was all she wanted all along for him to return her love.

She slowly nodded.

He lean forward and kissed her. It was a kiss which spoke more of caring than of need. She returned his kiss, giving herself once again to him.

Dennis didn’t think Ann would forgive him, but she did. The paper that he had handed to her was never sign. Now that he has her, he refused to give her up.

The End.