Chapitre 2

Ann did not leave the ceremony with Dennis. Her father and brother said their good-bye as she got in a limo. The driver took her to the airport where she was put in a private jet. When asked where they were taking her, the captain said Mr. O’Neil had arranged for her to go to his house first.

Staring out the window still in her wedding dress, tears rolling down her cheeks, she felt misery. She can clearly see her husband doesn’t want her. She could see it in his eyes after the ceremony. He didn’t exchange any words with her and was ignoring her.

The kiss. That kiss they shared was different and she didn’t like the way he made her feel during the kiss. She had expected him to be different. This husband of hers was not the doddering old man, but a flesh and blood man, young, vibrant and alive. Most of all, he was dangerous and seductive.

It was not easy for Dennis to watch his wife drove away in a limo. It was easy to do, but actually watch her leave was hard. That kiss was still burning inside him and he can still feel her warm lips against his. She was very bold to make that move and caught him off guard.

“You should thank me for not taking your place, Dennis.” Daniel said sitting beside him. “I am surprise you did not go with your bride.”

Dennis continued to drink and ignored his brother.

“I don’t care what you choose to do with your wife, but tonight you have got to go back to your place.” Mr. O’Neil said from behind.

“I wed her, it’s over and done with, father.” Dennis responded without looking at his father. “What more do you want?”

“I want you to act like a husband. Your mother will not be happy if she was here.”

Dennis slammed down the rest of his drink and stood up. “Mother will not have me marry some woman I haven’t even met.”

“But that kiss said you didn’t hate her.” Daniel said with amusement.

“Shut up!” He barked at his brother.

“Regardless, go to your wife. The guests are questioning your marriage.” His father said giving him a warning look.

Dennis sighed in frustration and left.

Ann didn’t know how long the trip was. It was late and she was exhausted. She had felt a sleep in the limo and was woken by the tap on the window. Ann looked over and saw the driver signal for her to go out. She stepped out.

“You are here, Mrs. O’Neil.” He said and waited for her to enter the house.

For a moment Ann stood there staring at the big house in front of her. It was a beautiful house and she wondered if it was her husband’s house or her father-in-laws. Probably his fathers. She thought to herself and followed the driver inside.

Once inside, she was greeted by a middle age woman.

“Welcome home, Mrs. O’Neil.” She smiled warmly. Ann smiled weakly and slightly nodded. “I am Maruree, the house keeper for Mr. O’Neil.”

“Nice to meet you.”

“You must be tired. I’ll show you to your room.”

Ann followed her up the narrowed stairway. She opened the bedroom and led Ann inside. The room was huge with the big bay window that opened to the balcony over look the city. The bed sat in the middle of the room with wife canopy hanging down from each pole of the bed.

“I hope you like it. I had to redecorate the room to welcome you, Mrs. O’Neil.” She smiled.

“You may call me Ann.” She smiled.

Ann walked around the room and sees no sign of her husband things. She wrinkled her eyes in confusion.

“Your things are in the closet. You can rearrange your things if you like.”

Ann opened the closet and sure enough everything was there. All her clothes and shoes.

“Thank you. This is fine.”

“I’ll let you rest.” She said and walked toward the door. “Let me know if you need anything.”

“Thank you.”

After the house keeper left, Ann slummed down on the bed and lay down. She was too exhausted and confused to move. Where was her husband and why wasn’t he here with her? Not that she wanted him there, but why are her things here and where are his things? Did he dislike her that much to not want to be in the same room with her? She saw the way he looks at her. It wasn’t anything like a man happy to be married.

Ann sat up and let out a long deep breath. She should be happy that he had left her alone. She decided to get clean up and change.

Next morning Ann came down early for breakfast. The table was already set for one. Maruree brought her breakfast as she sat down at the table.

“I hope you like it.” She sat the bow down in front of Ann with a smile.

“Thank you.” She smiled weakly. “Err…what about Mr. O’Neil?” She suddenly asked. Maruree glanced up at her. “I mean, will he be joining….err…me for breakfast?” Ann felt embarrass and not sure if she should be asking.

Maruree hesitated at first, but quickly answered without looking at Ann. “Mr. O’Neil said to go on without him.” She said adjusting the bow in front of Ann.

“Did he say when he’ll be back?”

Maruree leaned back and step back. “I…I don’t know.”

Ann frowned.

“He might be back tonight.” Maruree quickly said to cheer Ann up. “He should be back.” She smiled.

Ann smiled weakly and nodded.

Later that evening, Ann decided to make dinner for her husband. She knew they didn’t have a good start, but she was willing to try and make her marriage work. After all, she will have to spend the rest of her life with him and for her father’s sake she will try.

“Everything looks so delicious, khun Ann.” Maruree said with excitement. “Mr. O’Neil will love it and the table is set very nice.”

“Thank you, I hope he like it.” Ann replied feeling good for her hard work. “We didn’t have a very good start, but I hope this made up for it.” She said trying to convince herself. Maruree frowned, but smiled.

An hour gone by and still no sign of Dennis. Another hour gone by and nothing, Ann sat at the table waiting and fell asleep at the table when Maruree and a young maid came in and wake her up.

“Khun Ann kha, I don’t think Mr. O’Neil is coming.” She said sadly. Ann frowned with disappointment and nodded. “I’ll go warm these up for you.”

“N-No, it’s alright. I am not hungry.”

“But…” Ann shook her head before Maruree could finish. “Alright, I’ll put these away.”

Ann stood up. “I’m going to bed. Thank you.”

Maruree felt sorry for Ann as she watches her walked out of the dining room.

“I feel sorry for her, khun Maruree. She work so hard on these dinner and Mr. O’Neil didn’t show up.”

“Hush up, Jin.” Maruree gave her the look. “Hurry up and help me.”

Jin shook her head. “Khun Ann is pretty and very nice. It’s just too bad.”

“That is not our business. Hurry up!”

As they were finishing up, Ann stood on the other side of the room listening to them. She even felt pity for herself. While walking back to her room, she tried to convince herself Dennis was too busy to come home. No matter what kind of excuse she came up with, it was still hurt.

It’d been over a week since her wedding day and she hadn’t seen her husband once. He didn’t call or leave any message for her. Ann didn’t know what to do with herself. One night during dinner, Maruree came in to inform her that her father-in-law had invited her to a get together. Ann didn’t want to go, but couldn’t refuse either.