Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4

"Come here my little snack," the man cooed, breaking the silence. His boots thumped along the wooden floor. Ian's eyes moved to the doorway between us before coming back to me.

Can you see them? I mouthed.

He shook his head in return. All right. Well, we couldn't just hide forever, something needed to be done. We needed to get rid of the vampires and that wasn't going to happen if we hid behind a wall all night.

I'll go first. I mouthed again. Ian nodded and brought his gun up, ready to use it if necessary. I pulled mine in close, keeping my finger near the trigger. All I would have to do was aim and squeeze.

I took a deep breath, letting it out slowly before jumping around the corner, my arms outstretched, and the gun pointed at the vampires. I pulled the trigger, aiming it right at the heart of the woman, but she was gone.

The bullet flew through the air, barreling into the wall behind where she had been not a second ago.

I cursed under my breath and the man moved quickly, coming toward me. I tried to move out of the way, but he clipped my shoulder causing me to fall over.

I grabbed the stake when I hit the ground, holding it in my other hand. I heard the man laughing but I couldn't see him. I heard a sharp intake of breath and looked to the side. Ian was laying on the ground next to me.

"Hunters. You should have known better than to come looking for us. Unless you were looking to die that is."

"The only deaths around here are going to be yours," I said to the empty room as we stood back up.

"Are you alright?" Ian asked.

"Yeah, fine. Let's just get them and get out of here," I looked around. The place looked empty again. The only footprints on the dusty ground came from Ian and me. "Now show yourselves, you cowards, so we can get this over with."

"Now where would the fun be in that?" The man asked, his voice coming from behind now. I whirled around but still saw no one. "What sort of hosts would we be if we let you leave before the real fun began?"

I always hated it when we ran across one of those monsters that just wanted to bait you—play with you. They talked, trying to get inside your head so you'd slip up. But I wasn't going to let that happen.

Ian and I went back to back. I needed to focus on the general information. I needed to know exactly what we were up against. It was the best way to plan the next move.

"How old are they?" I whispered to him.

"I don't know."

"You don't know?" My voice went up an octave, but I quickly swallowed the frustration. How could he not know how old they were? That was the first thing you check out. You need to know if you're going up against a newborn or an old, skilled vampire. I wanted to slap Ian, but I needed to keep focused on the task.

I felt something hit us hard from the side, sending us both flying to the ground followed by the sound of the woman laughing gleefully. I dropped my weapon.

Both the man and woman stepped out of the shadows, looking down on us with a fire burning in their eyes. They were enjoying this. They wouldn't be for long.

I grappled for the gun, raising it and taking a shot at the man. My breath caught when I watched him easily deflect the wood tipped bullet.

So an older vamp, most definitely an older one. We needed more people to take them down. There was no way we would be able to do this with just the two of us. However, we had no choice anymore. I cursed Ian for not following procedure on this. Then again it was also my fault for agreeing without asking any of the vital questions.