Chapter 21 Raven

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
-Robert Frost

Hassins stood in front of the ombré. They parted like the Red Sea when he approached. Out of respect and fear, mostly fear.
"Damson, Faux, Hellen, take the guards, no one dies." His voice had an Icelandic sense that seemed to be threatening and beautiful. Three shadows evaporated. He nodded at the rest and they disappeared. When he took a step forward Cyrus whispered quickly in French. The ash connected right as he stepped into the circle. Hassins turned toward our imaginary wall and tried to walk forward but was cut off by a ring of golden spikes shooting out of the ground. Cyrus stepped forward me following. Hassins looked puzzled. "Who are you? He didn't say there would be children-" A loud screech came from the hall where the shadows had gone signaling a death of one then another then another. Up close Hassins looked young; fourteen, fifteen, maybe sixteen. He stood up taller then Cyrus and his eyes darted between us.
"Why are you here?" Cyrus had pulled out his golden spear. Hassins stuck his hands up and started to back away, stopping just hat the point of his golden trap.
"Just for the ritual, no one will die but..."
"But who?"
"But me."
"What? You want to die?"
"No I," He pulled at his suit. "I don't want to be this thing. You don't understand."
"No, I don't. Why don't I just stab you with this? We both win."
"Because I won't die. I wouldn't recommend it by the way. The next guy's harder to kill and won't want to die. If you kill me I won't come back ever but they'll take over."
"Who?"
"My brothers. Mal, Mort, and Pèchè."
"Evil, death, and sin."
"Please don't kill me. I don't want to hurt you." To my surprise Cyrus nodded.
"The ritual was supposed to separate you from your brothers." Hassins nodded. "How do we know you're not one of them?"
"She knows." He pointed to me. "Lady Raven Hang Grave has known me."
"But you were going to give him venom to kill me." I said.
"No, that wasn't for you it was for Samuel Concept a corrupt leader."
"Samuel's dead already." Cyrus said flatly. "He wast corrupt. The venom was for her." Hassins look terrified.
"I would have killed you?" I found my self shrugging.
"No hard feelings." Hassins gripped his stomach. He tried to find support on the golden spikes around him but his hand came off burnt and bloody.
"They're coming. They won't be held by this just do the ritual."
"I don't know the ritu-"
"Then get Anderson."
"He's dead." Sabrina skipped in. She had an axe in her hand and was swinging it aimlessly. "Stand up straighter Hassins I want you to stand when I'm cutting your head off." She swung at the golden spikes shattering them and releasing sparks.
"Sabrina, no!"
"To late, he's going to die for what he did to father-" A hand swung at her chest pushing her away from Hassins. Loosing her balance she fell backward on the spikes. One shot up her stomach and one at her chest pinning her in place.
"No!" Cyrus ran towards his sister who was sinking lower on the spikes. He pulled her out and set her on his lap. Brushing away a piece if hair he spoke. "Sabrina,"
"Shut up," she coughed out blood. "Just say it."
"I won't."
"Don't make me damned." Cyrus was shuddering.
"The woods are a lovely, dark, and deep. But I have promises to keep." Sabrina stopped moving. Cyrus's voice was ruff with tears. Hassins looked sad. "And miles to go before I sleep." He laid his head on her shoulder pulling her up to him. A thin red line came from her mouth. "And miles to go before I sleep."