Chapter 16 Explanation (Raven)

The room was white like the one I was in before but it didn't burn. Cyrus was in a red leather chair. Where his hands were the chair began to crumble away like charcoal. It reminded me of the burnt hill with the bodies. I leaned forward and poked Cyrus.

"Ow!" The top layer of my skin burnt off in a flash of blue flame. He pulled up out of the chair.

"What- ohmygod are you ok?" He gripped my hand tightly.

"What the dip is happening Cyrus? Why is this happening?" He exhaled.

"I'm... I'm not supposed to tell you." He sounded nervous. I pulled my hand away and it started to knit back together adding layers of skin like fabric. I looked up at Cyrus who was clearly shocked. "That," he puffed out his cheeks. "Is new. About everything else I can't-"

"Says who?"

"Mr. Anderson. He says that you shouldn't know what happened."

"Well I'm..." I thought for a moment then found something to my advantage. "I'm leader of Rindo,"

"Rinder."

"That's what I said. I'm the leader of Rinder not Mr. Anderson and I want answers. Shoot." A smile formed at the top of Cyrus's mouth.

"Where do we start?"

"At school. How ever long ago that was." He nodded.

"Before we met the leader before you, Samuel, asked me to get you from the school. The scheduled date for me to start showing you, uh, 'powers' I guess, was July 14.
"As you know that didn't work very well. I wasn't supposed to bring you to Rinder until October 28 but the ombré came for you. Ombré is French for shadow which is what you killed in the hallway."

"I killed something?"

"Getting there. When I heard they were coming I had to get you out of the school and to Rinder as quick as possible."

"But I threw a glass wall up how did. I do that?" Cyrus scrunched up his nose remembering running into it.

"I don't really know. Most shooters start magic when they're 9."

"And I'm 14."

"So the magic in you was probably busting it's way out."

"How did you put fire balls over the whole class when I got in trouble?"

"Screen. She thought I lit a candle." I shrugged. He went on. "Anyway on our way to Rinder the ombré caught us off guard. They took us to Dias they're capital prison. 'Luckily,'" He did little bunny ear thingies. "Selby, the guard you met earlier,"

"Who said I wouldn't be me?" He nodded.

"Selby was nearby and saw us get attacked. He was supposed to meet us half way and escort you to Rinder while he filled me in on what had happened over the last two years.
"When he saw us get taken he went back to Rinder to get backup. By the time he found us again we had been in Dias for three weeks. During the three weeks they injected you with brûlure which is French, again, for Scorch. (We went over brûlure in Chapter 16) When a shooter is injected with brûlure his or her soul goes to the closest living non ombré thing injected, which was me. That's why you could feel my pain and read my mind.
"After Selby got us out we had to put you in an Angel room. A room so bright that if any ombré were to set foot inside of it it would die. We thought that might get rid of the brûlure. When you came out the scorch mark behind your ear was gone and we thought you were cured. But we are never that lucky.
"When you killed the ombré in the hallway you were already fighting the ombré in your head. Fighting double at once caused the Shooter part in you brain grow. But you spent all your energy on the ombré in the hall that the ombré in your head took over. The ombré in your head has labeled it's self as Aragorn a very high up ombré.
"Aragorn believes that if he takes over you he can talk over Rinder. He's using the Mute's rules against you causing you to hurt yourself and others." He let out a breath. "I wasn't supposed to tell you that,"

"That sucks," I said. "Let's go to Mr. Anderson."

If there is any questions you have, comment here or mail me. Thanks sorry for such a boring chapter but I was reading it over and it was really confusing. Anyway bye! -👾 Scar