Chapter 14 Sabrina

"What do you mean?"

"I mean she killed a freak'n ombré by herself, Sabrina!" Cyrus was sitting at a table in the cafeteria. Even though it was lunch the lunch room was deserted; everyone was outside looking at the snow blizzard. He put his head in his hands. I noticed that his hair had been washed and he smelled like himself, which had been different lately. He used to smell like chopped cedar wood ready to be put on the fire. Now he smelled like it had been, burnt cedar and charcoal and I knew it was because of his Amè.
He looked like an insane scientist, to worried to sleep or eat and only showered because fear of getting germs in the beakers.
"I just, don't know what to do! Selby got to her-"

"And you."

"To late!" He said as if I had never spoken. He still blamed himself for letting Raven get caught by ombré but I was hoping that her killing one would show him that you don't let Graves do things, they just do and they don't need your permission. "They already have the brûlure in her head! It's to late for her to be injected." At the age of ten every Shooter is given a brûlure and taught how to control it.
The brûlure opens a gate between ombré and Shooters allowing them to enter each other's minds. It is a test of will and protects us later: if a brûlure is already injected it cannot again. But it is also dangerous; if the mind is opened too late then it is more developed and won't soak in the fact that Shooters and Ombré don't mix allowing ombré to enter Raven's mind and take over. If they can't do that then she either concurs them, spends the rest of her life listening to the worst things to hear, or dies by her own hand or theirs.

"Where is she now?"

"The white room. I've checked on her but she's still out cold or cutting her hands with her teeth and rubbing them on the walls." I nodded and walked away.

🌒

"Raven, it's me, Sabrina." A small heap jumped up and ran into the glass door between her and I. She started to scratch. "Rave listen-" She started to whisper in a different language. "Listen this isn't you..."

"Morte ai codardi,"

"This is some weird ombré thing. This isn't you-"

"Coloro che vorrebbero poter volare," She said this one louder or it did. I kept my silence to let it talk. I recognized the language. "Vergonga a coloro Che sperano gle altre a morire." Louder. "È guinto il tempo anche se molto in ritardo." It was almost a yell. "Sono divertenti amici, é stato a lungo di attesa!" She screamed at me, her spit hit the glass making a sizzling noise. The glass began to melt away. "Do you know what that means Sabrina Williams? What this means? We can take your people if we can take your leader. You may have her back, for now but don't try this negotiating thing again," It waved a careless hand. "I will kill you." Raven flew against the wall behind her and slumped against the floor. I could hear her speaking in detailed Italian, threatening us.

Death to the cowards,
Who wish they could fly,
Who hope that others will die.
Your time has come though much to late,
Have fun little friends, it's been to long of a wait.