The human and the demon part 2

A/N - okay I've decided I'm gonna carry this on! Probably gonna do some major editing but since I've gotten a few personal issues out of the way I'm gonna continue. I apologise for the super long delay! I'll attempt to stick to a schedule this time.
By the way, for this story I'm going to be following the season 1 anime. I'll probably go into the books as well.
Recap - D/N = different name and Tom = Seb.

Although she came from a poor family, D/N had dreams of becoming a doctor, and since she had close connections with the church she was well on her way to fulfilling that dream.

Hospitals were very much based around the church, and by that association, God. However, D/N couldn't help but feel their treatments were all that successful. She helped treat the lepers that had been isolated from the rest of society. It was a most cruel disease. Though despite her best efforts, almost every time she walked into the - rather lacklustre - hospital, she always found more beds empty and new faces. D/N tried to think the beds had become empty because the patient had recovered, but deep down she knew that this wasn't the case.

On one of these days, Tom had decided to inspect mortal treatments of illness and disease. He had hoped that there had been some improvements since his last visit, some two hundred or so years ago. Yet, he stood corrected.

It was almost pitiful. No, it was pitiful. Obviously, waving a crucifix around and sprinkling a few herbs picked from the garden wouldn't solve anything. He felt rather ashamed to see D/N being swayed by these inefficient 'treatments', especially when she was so passionate about saving lives. He considered lending a helping hand, using some of his own 'treatments' but thought better of it. These mortals were very protective of their methods - useless as they may be.

Until D/N left one of her shifts relatively upset. A patient she had grown rather close with had suddenly passed. Not only that, but seven beds were empty.

She vented to Tom a lot that day, teary-eyed. Though she was definitely devastated, there was also a strong sense of frustration within her.

"I don't understand why nothing I do works." D/N uttered hopelessly, "am I doing something wrong? Is God angry at me? Is that why I keep failing?"

Tom felt slightly amused, 'you're in love with a demon, dear. I'm sure he's not too thrilled.' He thought, 'of course, you don't know that.'

"I just want to help people." She trailed off.

From then on, most of D/N's shifts ended like that. She was miserable. Eventually, Tom had had enough. She should be out enjoying her work, not coming back in tears every time.

Tom concocted a vile. He added a few herbs and a few of his own, somewhat blasphemous, touches. He thought of how D/N would react if she found how he had made this solution. He smiled to himself - what she didn't know wouldn't hurt her, and that was certainly the last thing he wanted to do. Else, he wouldn't have spent such effort to make her happy.

The next day, Tom gave the vile to D/N.
"Use this," he said, a slight smugness on his face, "it works as a masterful cure."

D/N stared at the vile a little confused, "what is it?"

"It's a remedy from overseas. You'll be surprised at how well it works. Just a few drops on the tongue should do the trick."

Though skeptical, D/N was more than grateful. If there was even a slim chance of curing anyone she would be pleased. However, Tom's confidence in this remedy made her ecstatic.

"If you really think it'll work, then I'll have to try it!" She grinned.

Turning serious for a moment Tom warned, "be sure to keep this to yourself, at least for now. No need for unnecessary attention."

D/N raised an eyebrow but nodded, "okay."
Since it was from overseas, it made sense to introduce the remedy slowly.

With an affectionate ruffle of her hair, Tom smiled, "well go on then. Tell me how it works when you get back."

D/N nodded and left with haste. She called from over her shoulder, "I love you! Thank you!"

Tom muttered a quite, "I love you too." Still a bit uncomfortable with the term. Nonetheless, he felt satisfied. Seeing D/N smile again made him smile as well. He found himself eagerly awaited her return that night to see her reaction to his handy work.

As he expected, D/N returned overjoyed. She ran up to him, tightly embracing him. Tom found it rather adorable as he noticed she was having difficulty stopping herself from jumping about.

"Tom, it worked!" She cried, "it really worked!"

The demon feigned hurt, "you doubted me?"

D/N quickly shook her head, taking his larger hands in hers, "no! Not at all! I just... I just didn't think that... I didn't think it would work so... so quickly! So efficiently! It only took an hour for symptoms to fade! Mr Fisher, his skin is nearly back to normal! Can you believe it! Tom, this solution is incredible! To think, cures like this really exist, who knows what other remedies may be out there? I get giddy even thinking about it!"

Tom looked at her, a warm smile graced his features. As he ran a hand through her hair, he realised how joyous he felt whenever D/N was happy. He wanted her to always be this happy, so he could always be witness to that angelic smile.

"I'm glad you liked it." He said with a light chuckle.

"Liked it? Tom, I loved it! I can finally help people, and it's all thanks to you!" She smiled, "For the lord to have blessed me with someone like you, he mustn't hate me at all!"

He felt his lips tug upwards as he tried to suppress the laugh in his throat. He placed a light kiss on her forehead and muttered, "it seems I too have been blessed."

'But certainly not by God.'

From that day forward, all that mattered to Tom was D/N's happiness, so he created more of those remedies, which meant more specific ingredients were to be harvested. As long as
D/N remained blissfully in the dark, all was well.

However, the missing peoples cases kept rising.