Despair

Despite the previous disaster, Ciel had managed to pull himself together, even dressing up for the upcoming ball - if you could even call it that since there were only two participants. You and Sebastian stood behind him, elegant as ever however, Lizzy's high pitched squealing was almost enough to falter your calm demeanour.

"CIEL!" She beamed, "YOU LOOK ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!"

For the moment she seemed content, the same couldn't be said for the young boy however. The girl's eyes landed on the large blue ring on Ciel's thumb, "Ciel..."

"Y-yes?" He said, a little wary.

"WHERE IS THE RING I BOUGHT YOU?! THAT DOESN'T SUIT YOU AT ALL!" She screamed, "LOOK IT'S TOO BIG FOR YOU!"

"Lizzy." Ciel warned but she took no notice, instead prompting to snatch the ring into her own hands, "look! Now you'll have to wear my ring!" She giggled, seemingly proud of herself.

"My lady, please be careful with it." You called, a sense of unease building inside of you. She laughed, spinning with the ring still between her fingers, "Oh please, we can always get another."

"I'm afraid you don't understand, my lady."
'That ring is special.'

"ELIZABETH!"

Her eyes widened at the shout of her name. You sighed in relief that Ciel would put a stop to it. He cleared his throat, "Elizabeth, give it back."

Tears started forming in Elizabeth's eyes, "I-I don't understand. All I wanted was for you to look adorable so why are you yelling at me?" She paused, gripping the ring tightly, "I HATE IT! I HATE THIS STUPID RING! TAKE IT!" She screamed, throwing the fragile item to the ground.

You stared wide eyed as you watched the ring break upon impact with the ground. That was one of the only things you had left of Vincent. Anger at the girl consumed you as your eyes changed into the monstrous ones they truly were. You might have gone all the way had Sebastian not given you a pitying look and a slight shake of his head.

You didn't know whether to feel guilty for losing control over a mere child or that your anger was justified. After a moment you had regained your composure and made your way towards Ciel and Lizzy. You would deal with the ring later.

But you stopped in your tracks.

"Even without this ring, I am still the Earl of Phantomhive."

'No, don't you dare.'

With a confident swing, Ciel had already tossed the fragmented ring out of the open window before you could say anything. Without thinking you hastily went to leave the room to collect the ring.

"Leave it, Y/N." Ciel ordered. You grit your teeth, and slowly turned to face him, eyes changing for a split second; he glared in response.

You bowed, "Yes, my lord." Spitting out the title at the end, you left the room, this time he didn't stop you.

~•~•

It was late, you and Sebastian were heading towards Ciel's room.

Once there, you put your hand out in front of the butler, "Can I have a moment?"

"... I honestly don't think that's a good idea." He said, a bit hesitant.

"Correction, give me a moment, Sebastian."

You opened the door, leaning back on it as to shut it back up behind yourself. Ciel was sat on the end of his bed as if expecting you.

"Y/N." He said. You chuckled bitterly, "... Why?"

"It was broken anyway. I had no use for it anymore." He answered monotonous.

You looked at him, shocked, "No, you did not say that."

"I did."

Within moments you appeared in front of him, hands on his shoulders, "Listen here, you brat," you warned, dangerously low, "Maybe you don't need that ring but I do."

He glared and slapped your hands away, "Because it was my Father's? Honestly, why are you so obsessed with him?"

Your eyes widened as you pinned him to the bed. Your murderous red eyes glared into his own wide blue eye. Black fog coated the room.

You grimaced, "Your father is everything to me!" Your hand smacked against your chest, "You have no idea how it felt to devour his soul! And now, all I have left of him is that ring and you!"

You laughed between ragged breaths, what were once internal tears pricked the corners of your eyes, "A-And you... you... you..." You began to sob again for the first time in 2 years. Ciel looked up at you, unsure of what to do. At first, he was afraid but now he didn't know what to feel.

"... Y/N...?"

"I want him back!" You bawled, "It's not fair!"

Though hesitant at first, Ciel raised a hand and rubbed your back. You reminded him of a child but he saw something endearing in it. The black mist began to slowly fade.

Rubbing circles on your back, The boy cooed, "I miss him too."

There was a knock at the door and Sebastian walked in, "Pardon me but-" he paused at the sight of his young master comforting you.

"My lord." He spoke and opened his hand to reveal the ring, with no signs of damage.

"How did you-?" Ciel inquired, taken a back. You looked as well. A relieved smile painted itself on your features as you rubbed your fingers over it. You slowly placed the ring on Ciel's thumb, a slight sense of nostalgia filling you as well as an surging feeling of guilt.

You and Sebastian were dismissed. As you walked down the hall, Sebastian seemed as though he wanted to ask something.

"That was quite a display of... something, Y/N." He said, at a loss for words. You sighed, "Please don't talk about it."  

You walked again in silence. But you smiled, you had decided what had to be done, "You know what Sebastian?"

"What?"

"I'm leaving the manor." You declared as if an enormous weight had been lifted.

"Oh... and why's that?" He asked.

"This just isn't the right place for me. I need to go at it alone from here." You sighed.

"But I assume you will carry on doing Vincent's biddings?"

"Yes."

"... Why must you torture yourself like this?" The butler said, quiet and dejected. You turned to face him, confused, "What is it to you?"

He shook his head, "it's nothing really... just..."

"What is it?" You asked warily.

He let out a long sigh, "I've grown rather fond of you-" he corrected himself, "having another one of my kind around. You remind me... of what I used to be like, centuries ago."

"You, how so?"

"Emotional."

"Oh..."

"Tell me, Y/N," he quizzed, "you are young, yes?"

"564." You answered, "but why do you ask?"

Sebastian looked almost sad but nostalgic when he looked at you, "I had my own 'Vincent' once." 

The both of you had stopped walking, the moon shining down on you both through the window. You smiled, "Tell me about her, Sebastian, before I leave."

It was then he did something unexpected; he ruffled your hair, a genuine smile on his face. You felt as though you recognised this feeling. Sebastian looked down at you and chuckled, "There's that face I remember..."

A/N- Chapter complete. Damn reader - you're a bit crazy lol
Anyways hope you like it!
See ya in the next one x