32;

Soulmates. The word stuck in my head for the next two weeks, and I wondered if I should say anything to Taehyung. Maybe I should, it might lead me to finding answers as to why he was there. But I couldn't, not yet. It would likely be one step closer to Taehyung disappearing for good, and that wasn't something I was looking forward to.

The more time I spent with Taehyung, the more it just felt right having him around. We might get on each others nerves sometimes, but the pros outweighed the cons by far. He was fun to be around, and didn't mind talking for hours on end at night when I couldn't sleep, or listening to my stories from work. 

Sometimes spending time with him would make my heart swell, and I'd get butterflies as like a high-schooler. And there was something about the way Taehyung would blush or turn away quickly if I caught him looking at me; that made me feel that it wasn't one-sided. It was probably selfish of me to want him to stay, but that didn't change the way I felt about it.

Surely it was impossible anyway though, there was no such thing as soulmates... was there? I had to admit it made more sense than any other reason I could think of for me to be able to see Taehyung.

I walked into my apartment, liking the fact that I didn't come home to the place being empty, dark, and quiet. 

Taehyung always had the TV on, and was usually making some kind of noise himself. Tonight, the noise came from the kitchen, and I followed my nose toward the awful smell of burned food.

"What on earth are you doing?" I laughed at the mess that Taehyung had made. 

There were pots everywhere, was food on the floor, and Taehyung was standing in the middle of it holding a pot–or, he was until I set eyes on him. It clattered to the floor, spilling it's contents everywhere.

"You could have given me some warning before you walked in." Taehyung huffed.

"Sorry." I said, walking forward to clean up some of the mess. Luckily, the pot only had water in it so it wasn't too bad to clean up. "But you didn't answer my question; what are you doing?"

"Cooking. Actually, I'm failing at cooking to be more exact." Taehyung looked sadly around the kitchen. I walked past him to the pot that was simmering on the stove.

"This looks good." I said, though it was a bit of a stretch. It was some kind of soup, but the vegetables were chopped unevenly and parts of it looked burned.

"It was supposed to be vegetables to go with pasta." Taehyung informed me, sounding slightly less disappointed with his food now. 

"But that didn't work... so somehow it ended up turning into soup. I was going to stick with that, but it looks weird. So I decided to switch back to pasta and give up on the soup, and that's when you walked in."

"That still doesn't explain why you're cooking in the first place." I pointed out, and as I glanced at Taehyung, he flickered in and out of sight. That was happening more often now, sometimes to the point that I couldn't see or hear him for minutes at a time.

"I'm fading." Taehyung said, rubbing the back of his neck. I thought his cheeks might have turned slightly pink, but it was hard to tell.

"What does that have to do with–" I started.

"It's hard to move things now. I still can, but I have to concentrate, and it makes me feel dizzy after a while. I think... I think it might mean I'll leave soon." 

Leave

That was one way to put it, I thought. 

"You've been so wonderful, and I know I'm not always the easiest person–er, ghost–to deal with. I wanted to do something to say thank you, for helping me, and for being there for me." He looked down at his shoes that hovered a half inch off the floor. "It just didn't work out very well." He muttered.

I felt my eyes brim with tears, but I fought them back. Instead, I smiled. "That's the sweetest thing anyone– any ghost– has ever done for me."

"You don't know any other ghosts." Taehyung pointed out, but smiled despite himself.

merry christmas from my family to yours :)