Flight

"Well, she's fine, except for the broken leg." Heatwave broke the news to the recruits.

"I don't get it, I told her to fly and she ran." Wedge said. He thought for a moment. "Why didn't she fly?"

"Maybe she doesn't know how?" Whirl suggested.

"That's probably the case, we should teach her how before she goes on anymore sim missions." Hoist said. Everyone nodded.

"I'm going to go check on Cynder, stay here for now." Heatwave left to find Blades and Cynder.

"So, how are we gonna teach her to fly? None of us have wings. None that flap anyway..." Hotshot rested his helm on his servo.

"I could research how wings work, I'm sure I have a few books on it." Medix said.

Cynder's POV

Okay, ow. Maybe taking of running wasn't the most amazing and smart idea.

"Hold still" Blades finished wrapping my leg and picked me up. "Not even a month in the academy and you're already hurt." He snickered.

Heatwave came into the medical bay.

"How is she?" He asked. Blades shrugged.

"Better. I have her some pain medication for now, but she's going to have to take it again in two hours." He said. Heatwave sighed.

"Can I take her to the recruits?"

"Yes, just be careful." Blades handed me to Heatwave.

We left the medical bay and made our way to the recruits.

When we came into the room the team was surrounded by books about birds.

"What is all this?" Heatwave carefully stepped over the books.

"Sorry sir.. we were trying to figure out how to teach Cynder how to fly." Hoist apologized.

"By reading about.. ostriches?" Heatwave picked up an ostrich book.

"Well, yeah? Ostriches can fly can't they?" Hotshot took the book from Heatwave.

"No. They can't. Now try to organize all of this, Cynder won't be able to move around safely with all these books on the floor." Heatwave set me down on a barrel and started to pick up the books.

Everyone looked at me for a second than started helping Heatwave.

Third Person

Medix picked up the last book and set it on top of one of the four stacks of books.

"Now it should be safe for Cynder to walk." He went over and set Cynder on the floor. (Ok I'mma say this now, don't know why I didn't say this earlier.. but to the recruits Cynder is about the size of a great Dane)

"If she can walk.." Hotshot muttered. Wedge elbowed him

Whirl watched sadly as Cynder limped around.

"Poor dragon.. she needs to learn to fly." She ran over to her team. "Come on guys! Let's take her to hero hall!"

"Are you sure? We should let her rest for a bit.." Hoist said. Hotshot rolled his optics.

"She'll be fine, not like she requires her legs to fly," he went over and pat Cynder's head.  Everyone but Hoist went over to Cynder and discussed how they were going to teach her to fly. He pondered what to do.

"You guys can do what you want, but i'm staying behind. If she gets hurt again I want no part of it." Hoist turned and left his team. A little while after Hoist left Wedge shrugged and started towards Hero Hall. everyone followed without question.

-----

"According to the books I read, all she needs to do if flap her wings very quickly." Medix said. 

"I think there's more to it than that, Medix.." Whirl added. Wedge and Hotshot nodded.

"I say we just try it and see what happens." Wedge went over to the control panel and started a sim, the sim wasn't about anything, it just had a platform.

"Okay, someone get Cynder up there." Hotshot pointed at the platform.

"Whirl, can you fly her up there?" Medix asked. Whirl nodded and transformed. the recruits hooked Cynder onto Whirl's winch and she carried her up. when they successfully landed Whirl transformed and removed the winch from Cynder.

Cynder's POV

Are you sure this is a good idea? I stepped away from the edge of the platform. Are they just gonna make me jump and hope for the best?

"it's okay Cynder! just jump! we'll catch you if you don't fly!" Hotshot yelled. That didn't make me feel better.

"Don't worry!" Wedge also yelled. Medix and Whirl yelled something too but I wasn't paying attention. 

I'm not getting down from here without jumping, here goes nothing..

I leaped off the platform and spread my wings hoping I would just glide to the ground. I heard my team yelling stuff but I couldn't hear them with the wind in my ears. I closed my eyes and braced for the ground to hit me.

Surprisingly it never did, I fell into a soft net.

"Yes! that was a good try!" I felt Hotshot pet my head and I opened my eyes slowly. they were all smiling at me.

"You glided for a split second before dropping like a stone." Medix said. he was smiling too.

"Wanna try it again?? You don't have to if you don't want to," Whirl asked. they set the net down and let me crawl out of it. I thought for a moment. that was pretty fun, and Medix said I actually glided.. yeah, i'll do it.

I nodded and limped to the platform, asking for Whirl to take me up.

She gladly transformed and brought me back up.

I practiced jumping and gliding for an hour before Blades discovered what we were doing and shut it all down before I got hurt, more.

I made some progress today, maybe i'll be full on flying in a week.

*S I G H* I wrote most of this in  a reading class.