Chapter 3

That night Bucky woke up to a loud thud. He looked around but didn't find anything except the empty sheets next to him. He got up and went to the other side of the bed to find Wanda shaking on the floor with her hex radiating off of her.

"Wanda!" He kneeled down next to her and was about to touch her but was stopped by her voice in his head.

Don't...Please...

Her voice sounded scared and pained.

Need...Focus...

At that moment he wanted to do nothing more than help her but at the same time he didn't know how. Eventually the red slowly faded and her shaking stopped. Bucky stayed with her the whole time not wanting to leave for a second. When he was sure she was back asleep he gently picked her up and put her back on the bed making sure not to wake her. The rest of the night he stayed awake watching her, making sure whatever just happened didn't happen again. During that time all he could think about was her. How could he help her when he didn't know how?

The sound of Wanda's voice snapped him out of his thoughts.

"James?" He got up from his chair and moved towards her, helping her out of the bed.

"Are you okay?" he asked as he let her lean on him for support.

"I'm fine," she stated. He wanted to ask more but didn't press. Right now their main focus was to get back to the others without getting caught.

They made their way out of the motel and onto the streets of Sakovia. The sun was barely rising when they got outside. As they were walking they past various fruit stands. Wanda grabbed some fruit as they were passing and put them in the bag she snatched without Bucky noticing. Before they left town, she saw a little girl and her mother huddled together on the sidewalk.

She had a moment of pity and let go of Bucky's arm and limped over to them.

"Here, it's not much but i hope it could help," Wanda said as she handed the lady two fresh apples.

The lady gladly took them giving one to her daughter. "Thank you so much. There are few who are as generous as you." Wanda gave them one last smile before limping back to Bucky. She took his arm and they continued their way back.

"Where did you get the fruit?" he asked.

"You forget that i lived on these streets for years, I know how to steal," she responded with a slight smirk.

They continued their way back in silence. About five minutes in, Wanda started coughing. Bucky didn't put much thought into it at first until she started to wheeze. He stopped and turned to her, pressing the back of his hand against her head.

"Wanda, you have a fever," he stated.

"I'm...Fine," she breathed out. He saw her sway and put his hand on her arm and the other on her side making her grimace. When he touched her side it felt damp. He removed his hand and looked at it to find blood. She was bleeding through her bandages. He put her arm around his neck and his arm around her waist to support her. They quickly made the rest of the way back. He opened the door and rushed to the run down living room.

Sam jumped when they came in. Before he could ask questions Bucky stopped him and motioned to Wanda. He looked at her and saw blood seeping through her clothes.

"Set her down on the couch," Sam instructed. Bucky did as he was told and set her down. Sam got up and went to her, lifted her shirt slightly, and examined the bandages. He then gently took them off to see where the bleeding is coming from. The stitches on her side broke again. She had to be more careful, they couldn't keep repairing them every time.