Chapter 20 - Many Worries

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

In Chapter 20 below, the men on the reconnaissance mission have returned to camp with the wounded Zane, whose face was severely injured by the strike of a Purple soldier's sword. That Purple soldier is now a prisoner of the Yellow army, having been captured in a daring chase by Kai, Jay, and their cowboy friend...

Chapter 20 - Many Worries

On the way back to camp, Kai found out that Lieutenant Pierce had seen him chasing the Purple soldier, and thus the officer had given orders for Jay (the best horseman in the group) and Michael Donlan (the best roper after Kai) to join in the chase of the Purple scumbag who had wounded Zane.

It was now twilight in the Yellow camp. The Purple lieutenant had been processed as a prisoner of war.

The tale of the afternoon events of the Company C contingent was circulating around camp. Wherever Kai had traveled in the camp during the last few hours, he had been congratulated by his fellow Yellows for his part in the capture of the Purple.

But worry for Zane overshadowed any pride he might have felt otherwise. Zane had undergone surgery in the field hospital and would need to be transferred to a military hospital in Sasnak City when his condition was stabilized. He had lost a lot of blood.

Kai, along with Cole and Jay, was with Captain Noonan when the officer sent the explanatory telegram to Mr. Wu, who Zane had designated as his next of kin.

At supper, the men who had gone on the reconnaissance mission ate together. Except for Cole, who said he was not hungry. Cole wished to stay by the field hospital, near the wounded Garmadon Ranch cowboy.

The normally rowdy banter among the men in the mess tent was subdued tonight. After supper, they each went their separate ways around the camp. Jay said he was going back to the sleep tent he shared with Cole, in order to start another letter to Nya. Kai went for a walk. He had a destination in mind.

Cole was seated on the ground against a barrel in front of the field hospital, idly tossing pebbles as Kai approached him.

"Howdy, pardner," the brown-haired cowboy said in greeting.

"Howdy," the black-haired cowboy replied listlessly, looking up briefly before he returned to tossing pebbles.

Kai seated himself beside his friend. "You all right?" he asked.

Cole threw a few more small rocks before answering. He turned to Kai, his face pinched and his eyes wide.

"There was so much blood, Kai. And pieces of flesh not meant to be seen by any human..."

Kai put his hand on his friend's shoulder. "And from what I hear, you did everything right, Cole. You wrapped his wound and put him on his horse all by yourself and got him back to camp right away. You were the best one out of all of us to be there when it happened."

Cole looked back at the ground. "It was awful."

Kai realized his fellow cowboy was not handling the event of this afternoon very well.

"I think maybe you should eat something now, Cole. You haven't had any grub since this morning." Kai fished through the pockets of his uniform and found some dried apple slices wrapped in cloth. "Have these. These are from the package sent by our wonderful Garmadon Ranch ladies," he smiled, handing over the small bundle.

Cole accepted the bundle. After slowly unwrapping the cloth, he picked up a piece of apple and studied it.

"Brooke said she's been wanting to make an apple pie," he said before taking a bite.