Chapter 1: Sunday Night in Late August

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Howdy, pardners! I am The Mayor of Ninjago City. You may already know me from my first fanfic, The Fire Within a Ninjago Cowboy.  Now I wish to present a sequel, The Fire Within a Ninjago Soldier

These two cowboy stories are set in the latter half of the 1800s. Imagine that in this time period, the western border of the United States is at the Mississippi River, and Ninjago is a country that stretches from the Mississippi River westward to the Rocky Mountains.

Here are the cities and towns that are located in Ninjago. WEST: Ninjago Town, the home town of our heroes. EAST: Sasnak City, the capital of Ninjago. SOUTH: Jamanakai Village and Ignacia. CENTRAL: Ouroborus. And in the United States, there is the big city of Ogacich. (Think of Chicago!)

My first story tells the tale of the relationship between a saloon girl and a brown-haired cowboy from Garmadon Ranch, covering the weeks from the day they met to the day they married.

The story you are now reading begins a few hours after the wedding festivities have concluded. It continues the tale of our young lovers, as well as chronicles the relationships between the other cowboys and the women who love them. (One such relationship is chronicled in the very first chapter.)

This story is set against the backdrop of a Ninjago civil war, which breaks out in Chapter 10.

In my previous tale, I dismantled all the canon family relationships except for those related to Garmadon: Lloyd, Misako, and Wu. In this story, there are two sets of canon family relationships that remain intact: the Garmadon relatives, and the Chen father/daughter relationship from Ninjago's Season 4, the Tournament of Elements.

I wish to thank a family member, who goes by the pen name of measuremesky on another fanfiction website, for giving me the inspiration and support for creating these stories.

Without further ado, here we go...

Prologue

Several centuries ago, Ninjago was ruled by a monarchy. The kings in the earlier centuries ruled benevolently and were adored by their subjects.

As the years went by, however, the kings became increasingly tyrannical. They oppressed their subjects with high taxes, unjust laws, and severe punishments, to the point where the masses were becoming slaves.

But about one hundred years before our story begins, the monarchy system of government was overthrown by brave souls who believed in the dignity and freedom of the individual citizen. Once again, peace and prosperity inhabited the land, as a new form of government - one that was run by an elected governor and was of the people, for the people, and by the people - was established. The capital city was Sasnak City, located on the eastern edge of Ninjago, near its border with the United States.

There were some Ninjagoans, however, who wished to see the monarchy reinstated. They did not think that the general public was educated enough to rule themselves properly. Over the last quarter century, enough Ninjagoans felt the same way that they formed an alliance among themselves. They became known as the Purples, named for the color of the royal robes once worn by the monarchs of the past. They gathered in a remote area of Snake Territory, which bordered Ninjago to the south, and formed a plan to overthrow the current government and re-seat a king on the throne.

Those who opposed the reinstatement of the monarchy called themselves the Yellows, for on a color wheel, yellow and purple form a pair of colors that lie opposite each other. The Yellows believed that the Purples held an outdated, condescending view of the citizenry, but they did not think the Purples were truly a serious threat to the peace of Ninjago.