15..

TO: Niall Horan

FROM: Meghan Daughtry

SUBJECT: Winter Event to celebrate clean air!

You've been cordially invited to Robert Flanders annual event on December 17th to celebrate the reduction of the carbon footprint of Robert Flander Enterprise Holdings Inc. The event will be held at the Flander home, starting promptly at 8:00 with opening remarks by Mr. Flander himself.

Please dress appropriately. Failure to be in the correct attire will lead to no entry to the event. Music and refreshments will be provided and a valet will be on duty to take care of cars. And...

Blah, blah, blah.

I'd already decided I wasn't going when I read the subject title. The last thing I need is to be out at night, making endless small talk with my coworkers and higher ups for four hours. I went to this event once before, and it wasn't fun at all. Mum told me it wasn't fun because I didn't bring a date, but even though I do believe that was a small part of it, I know damn well it was other parts of it.

First off, I'm pretty sure I was the youngest one there apart from Robert Flander's sons who were only a couple months younger than me. Second, everyone there was bragging about their richness and trying to outdo each other with stories of exotic vacations and things they bought just because they could. You could tell they looked down on people who didn't go out of the country at least three times a month. Clearly I didn't fit in. I didn't care or anything, but it was exhausting listening to them. Third, I don't even think Robert Flander was actually there, even though it was his house-and the possibility of seeing him was the whole reason I even went. And forth, it was just boring.

"Yeah, I'm not going." I muttered.

"What?"

I looked at Jerry from over my shoulder. "Nothing. Anything planned for the weekend, Jerry?"

"Oh, mate." He walked towards my desk and took a seat. "My wife's being a pain in my ass, lemme tell ya. She'll ruin my weekend again."

"Why?"

"She keeps going on about wanting another kid."

"Really?"

"Yeah! And do I look like I want another kid? I'm forty-three; the time for kids has come and gone! And it's not like she's a spring chicken either." He snorted.

The way he talked about his wife never sat right with me. I haven't ever heard him say a nice thing about her. She came here once, just to visit him at work, and he practically ignored her. I don't get it. His wife was one of the sweetest women I ever met, and not bad looking at all, but he just treated her like shit. I like to imagine they're different behind closed doors, but it doesn't look so good from where I'm always standing.

"Why don't you adopt?" I finally said.

He leaned back in the chair, "I don't want another kid. Maybe I'll just get her a dog or something. It'll get her off my back for about ten years."

"Whatever, works for you."

"What about you, huh?" I raised an eyebrow at him. "You doing anything this weekend?"

I plan on nothing--maybe I'll leave my house once to buy ice cream.

"Just relaxing."

"Don't you have a kid?"

I'm not getting into this. "Kind of, yeah. Look, I have to get back to work, so-"

He let out a loud laugh, "I get it. 'Get out, Jerry'--I gotcha kid. See you around, yeah? I'll let you know how the dog thing works out." I rolled my eyes at him as he walked out of the room. "Oh!" Damn it.