10..

“Hold the lift!”

I quickly stuck my hand out to stop the lift door from closing. A moment later a familiar face came scampering in, her heels clicking against the hard floor. I couldn’t stop myself from smiling as we made short eye contact. Her cheeks flushed a little before she turned and pressed the button for the fifteenth floor.

“Connie,” I said casually, looking at her in the reflection of the metallic doors. “What are you doing here?”

She turned her shoulders to look me in the face, “My interview with Hogan Marks is today.”

“Oh.”

“And why are you here?”

“I work here. Business manager remember?”

“Oh, right.” She nodded and faced forward again, our eyes meeting in the reflection once again.

I’d been thinking about our encounter last week since it happened. There was no denying there was something there—small or not. I wasn’t oblivious to the way she blushed when I looked at her or the way I wanted to make her laugh. Hopefully she felt it too.

Well…maybe not. I’m still not trying to date or search for a girlfriend, that much I was completely sure of, especially considering we both don’t really have time for significant others. That being said though, maybe I can just be friends with her, the way I’m friends with Mary-Kate.

“When’s your interview over?”

Her finger scratched at the bridge of her nose, “Noon, I suppose.”

“Noon…lunchtime.”

“Yes it is.”

“Well, since I have some free time then too, maybe we could get lunch together.”

She took her lip between her teeth, smiling a bit. “Sure.”

I waited until we got to her floor before responding. “Meet in the lobby?”

“Yeah, okay.” She stepped out and, though I tried, I couldn’t stop myself from glancing at her ass in that skirt. Jesus. “Sounds good.”

“See you later then.” The doors closed between us. I let out a breath and ran a hand through my hair. “Shit.”

----

It seemed like work was dragging on more than usual, as per usual when you’re waiting for something. I had a morning full of meetings today, so I had to dress sort of nice—and I say sort of because all I put on was a white button down shirt and nice pants. I still had sneakers on. Thankfully it was warm in the building, because I forgot to put an undershirt on while I was rushing around.

Archie was being less than helpful earlier. He was really whiney, complaining and pouting about everything. His breakfast wasn’t warm enough, or he had too much milk, or he didn’t like the shirt he had on—he was getting on my nerves. I was more than happy to hand him off to Trisha for a couple hours. Hopefully he’ll be in a better mood when I pick him up.

My eyes suddenly widened as realization hit me, right in the middle of a meeting.

Does Connie know about Archie? She has to, Bucky knows and they talk about everything, I know that for a fact. Oh shit, oh shit, she doesn’t like kids. Well, they make her sad or something—maybe that’s why Bucky hasn’t told her? Or why she didn’t bother to mention him to me. But why would she mention my own kid to me—the real question is why haven’t I mentioned Archie to her?

I don’t know….it wasn’t on purpose. And besides, it’s not like we talk every day. I haven’t really had a chance to mention anything about Archie. But then again, she was in my car, which was covered in Cheerios and had his car seat in the back. She has to know, but just hasn’t said anything. Maybe she talked to Bucky about it. I should ask him when I get the chance.