Chapter 12

“Kylie?”

        My eyes widened when I heard his voice. Shit. Slapping myself upside the forehead, I let out a groan of displeasure. Why the hell did I do that!? Why the hell did I let myself get seen? Hearing clear distinctive footsteps rushing towards me, I bolted in the other direction. Zigzagging through the different sections of books, I made a loop through the children’s section, before circling back towards the Teen Fiction’s aisle.

        Cranking my neck around, I saw him chasing after me. He was only a feet steps behind me, and if I didn’t pick up the pace now, his long strides will eventually catch me up to me.

        “Kylie, wait!” his voice called out. Ignoring his desperate tone, I picked up my speed, turning into a sprint. Rushing past the young group of girls in front of me, I was only about an inch away from the front entrance when I felt someone’s hand on my shoulder. My leg automatically went up, getting ready for a roundhouse kick before I was suddenly pulled backwards, his body soon making contact with mine.

        Before I could even do something, his arms snaked their way around my front, locking me in place. Hearing his deep, rapid breathing, I almost wanted to gag when he placed his head on my shoulder.

        “Kylie, I—”

        “Let me go.” I grounded my teeth together, ignoring his hot heavy breathing. “Now.

        “Kylie,” he said my name once more, his hands gripping my waist, tightly. Darting my eyes at them, I suddenly noticed his knuckles turning white. His hands were visibly shaking, his breathing still uneven. My eyes softened when I thought back to time he had first asked me to be his girlfriend. We were in the same position—his reaction the same. Knowing him, I knew he was beyond petrified—but I didn’t know why. Why is he being like this now? Why not two years ago? Why now?

        “Please, just let me explain.” Hearing his voice, my eyes narrowed into daggers, remembering who this was—the guy who broke my heart. Whatever he was saying before was bullshit. He’s the one who kicked me out—and divorced me. Not the other way around.

        “Explain what?” I snapped, ripping his hands apart. Twisting my body around, I cut my eyes at him, ignoring the hurt flashing in his green eyes. “There’s nothing to explain.”

        “There is.” He stepped forward, reaching his hand out for me. He paused mid-action when he saw me automatically stepping backwards. Dropping his hand, his green eyes flickered, a whirlwind of emotions present—mostly grieve. “Just—give me a chance—I promise—”

        “No,” I bit back. “You told me you don’t want me anywhere near you, remember?” I arched a brow at him. “So, follow your own damn rules, and leave me alone!”

        “Kylie—”

        “No!” I screeched, covering my ears. “Shut up, and leave me the fuck alone!” Seeing him visibly flinch and the pure anguish on his face almost made me take back my words. Biting my bottom lips hard, I stayed rooted to the ground, my face blank.

        “Fine.” He sighed, pushing his hair back in defeat. When his eyes met mine, my heart almost stopped when I saw them watering. He was practically on the verge of tears—something I’d only seen once since I’d known him. “I-I’ll leave for now, but I’m not giving up on you. Ever.”

        Watching his retreating back, I made sure he was out of my sight before I completely broke down, falling towards the floor. As my back collided with the glass wall behind me, my eyes flooded, the emotions finally catching up to me. People, bookshelves, and decorations all started turning into blurred lines, and shapes—twisting together into a jumble mess. Feeling the cold liquid streaming down my face, I shut my eyes, letting out a muffled cry. Why? Why did you put him in my life again!? Why are you trying to torture me? Why does life hate me so much!?