Chapter 26

Can you come outside?

My brows dipped down as I stared at my phone. It was Wyatt, the boy I met yesterday—or a few weeks ago? I still wasn't quite sure what he was to me. Apparently Christian doesn't really know him either, and well . . . Liam, never really went into further detail about our relationship after we left the hospital. Every time I asked, he would just change the subject. This might be my only chance to even talk to Wyatt alone. If Liam was here, he would probably just chase Wyatt away. From the way Liam reacted to Wyatt, there was no way they got along well, but the question is why? And knowing Liam, he probably won't tell me.

Nodding to myself, I made up my mind, and picked up my phone.

Sure, give me a minute.

I dropped my phone on the couch after I hit sent. Putting my book aside, I unhooked the brakes on my wheelchair, and rolled myself towards the door. Reaching my arm up, I unlocked the door, and opened it up to see Wyatt standing there with his hands stuffed in his pockets.

The smile on his face widened when he saw me.

"Thanks for letting me inside," he said once he was inside with the door closed behind him. Shifting his gaze around the room, he tugged on the sleeves of his sweater. "Um, is Liam here?"

I shook my head. "He went out to get some stuff a few minutes ago."

He nodded and breathed out a puff of air. "Is it okay if we sit down? I kind of need to tell you something important."

"Um sure, the living room's this way." I went to grab the wheels on my wheelchair, when Wyatt held onto the handles on top, stopping me.

"Here let me."

I gave him a wide smile, and whispered a small thanks.

He returned a smile of his own, as he pushed the wheelchair forward. He stopped when I was in front of the living room's table, facing the couch. He took the empty seat directly in front of me, and folded his hands together on his lap.

Leaning forward, he moved the frames of his glasses up to the bridge of his nose, and resumed his previous position. "First off, did Liam tell you anything about me?"

"No. Just that we're friends."

He nodded. "Do you want me to tell you about us? I know I'm not really suppose to, but I can't stand the fact that you'd totally forgotten about me—"

"—no, it's okay. Maybe if you tell me, something will jog my memory."

"Alright," he concluded with a smile. "What do you want to know?"

"Well for starters, how did we meet? I know you mentioned something about Barnes&Noble at the hospital, but—"

He chuckled, throwing his head back. "Oh, yes. I just got done working one of my shifts when I saw this crazy guy chasing after some girl around Barnes&Noble. She was screaming at him to get away from her. And well, that girl happened to be you, and that guy happened to be Liam."

I frowned. I was screaming at him to get away from me? But why would I do that? Liam and I weren't really that couple that got into fights easily. In fact, we barely fought. I can't even remember a period of time when Liam and I weren't together because of an argument. We usually resolve them within minutes of the conflict.

"I don't understand," I said, staring at his face, watching for any signs of a lie. "Why would I even do that though?"

"That's what I wondered too," he said, staring back at me. "When I approached you, you were crying. But when I asked if he was your boyfriend, the look you gave me was pure hatred for the guy. You made it clear that he was your ex."

Ex? There's no way. Why in the world would Liam be my ex after everything we've been through? He has literally been there for me since the age of five, so why in the world would I ever hate him? He isn't just my husband, he's my best friend. I would never hate him. How could I, when I love him so much? There has to be some mistake. But when I looked at Wyatt, there was no doubt in his eyes. He stared into my eyes, his gaze never wavering.

I wet my lips, trying to get the moisture back. "I-I don't—but he's my husband. We've been married for four years. He can't be my ex." I shook my head. "Not with everything we've been through, he just can't," I pleaded with him to understand, to tell me I'm right, to tell me he's joking, but all he did was shake his head.

"You mean, two. You guys divorced two years ago."

"D-divorced?" I choked out, my eyes wide. I could barely look at him without welling up, the image of Liam and I apart stuck in my brain. "That can't be true. He would never—"

"—he didn't, you did."

"I—" My lips trembled, as I grabbed onto the handles on my wheelchair. "I don't."

My body shook, as I felt a crushing pain on the side of my brain. My eyes closed when I touched my head. All I could see was flashes of colorful spots, and pitch black darkness. It was like my world was slowly shattering into a million pieces, while my head split in half.

"He cheated on you," Wyatt's voice rang in my head. "On your anniversary, you caught him in bed with another girl."

The world vanished before me, as Wyatt's words repeated in my head.

He cheated on you.

My body heaved up as my eyes welled up even further, blinding me as a thicker flow of tears ran down my cheeks. "Liam," I cried. "He—he would never do that to me. He loves—"

"The proof is right on your finger. You don't even have your wedding ring on."

"I-I—" I shook my head. Liam said he was getting it fixed. He said I would get it back later today. That's why he left. Liam can't be lying. He just can't be. "—You're lying. Liam said my ring was at the shop. There's no way he would cheat on me!" I screeched, pointing at him.

He sighed, and lifted his hand. I flinched back, not wanting the contact.

"I'm telling you the truth." His eyes watered, dropping his hand slowly. "You told me this. We were really close Sky . . . in fact we were actually dating." His gaze shifted away from me as he said this, his cheeks reddening.

"N-no—"

"Skylar, listen to me." He got on his knees, and leaned closer to me. Being careful with my broken leg, he placed his hands on my good knee. "On the day you got into a car accident, earlier that day we were on a date, and Liam showed up. You guys got into a huge fight, and you ran home. The next day, I saw the car accident on the news. That's when I ran to the hospital to find you, but of course Liam told me go away. Just think about it Skylar," he begged, his crystal gray eyes widening with tears. "He doesn't want you to remember anything about me because he doesn't want you to remember the fact that you guys aren't married anymore. Please believe me, Sky. Please."

"Can you—" I swallowed back a sob. "Can you please leave? I just need to be by myself."

His eyes dimmed, but he lowered his head, and let go of me. "Of course. Take as much time as you need."

I tried to smile at him, but I just couldn't. I wasn't even sure if he could be trusted. So, instead I just settled with a small thanks.

"I'll let myself out." He slowly got up from ground, and glanced down at me. "I'll be waiting for you, Skylar. And if you don't remember our memories together, that's okay. We can make new memories together. Just remember, I'm telling you the truth."

And with that, he left, leaving me more confused than ever.