Chapter 10

Because she’s important to me. Because I’m important to him? How the hell am I important to him? He literally kicked me out on the streets! On our anniversary no less! Is that something you do to someone who’s important to you? No.

        “I’m sure she is,” I said dryly, not believing him for one second. Before he even had the chance to respond back, I ended the call. Making sure to shut off my phone, I threw the object on the other side of the couch. It landed in between Christian and the couch pillow with a flop.

        “Sky.” Christian jabbed me in the side, getting my attention. He sounded so excited; it was almost funny. “You have got to look at this.” Flipping open the stack of papers to chapter three, he sat the manuscript down on my lap. Lending towards me, he pointed to a random sentence.

        He was so bored. Why must you be so boring? he asked his papers.

        I cranked my neck to look at him. “And what exactly am I suppose to be looking at?”

        “His manuscript!” He pointed out, like it was obvious. “I didn’t realized it was this bad.”

        I snorted, covering a laugh. Now he gets it. “Now you see my problem.”

        He nodded, scanning over the paper once more, his face twisting up in horror a second later. “Why on earth is he even writing a book then?” he asked, wide-eyed. “A high-schooler with shitty grammar could write better than this.”

        I cocked an eyebrow, grinning at his choice of words. “Don’t you mean a first grader?”

        He gave a throaty chuckle, throwing his head back in mid-laugh. “You’re right Sky. A first grader could write better than this. I mean, seriously!” He threw his arms outwards for dramatic effect. “The whole chapter is about him filing paperwork and how boring it is,” Christian said, his attention back on the manuscript. “Is every chapter like this?”

        “Pretty much,” I groaned, rubbing my face just thinking about it. “Well—” I paused, looking into his dark brown orbs, “the ones I read anyways.”

        “How much did you read?” he probed.

        “Um, the first twenty-chapters, I think.”

        Christian’s smile grew wider, probably impressed I was able to read half of the manuscript before I stopped. “Then, I guess it’s a good thing you don’t have to edit this anymore.”

        “It would’ve been even better if I didn’t have to do this stupid project in the first place,” I complained, throwing the manuscript on the kitchen table. “I mean, why me!? Why not anyone else? I’m not even a ghostwriter for fuck sakes!”

        “But, you’re a good writer.” He winked, the corners of his eyes crinkling.

        I rolled my eyes at his compliment, knowing that it was just his little attempt to calm me down. “There’s plenty of good writers in our firm though.”

        He shrugged, throwing his arms behind me. Resting his back on the couch, he tilt his head towards me. “Maybe he saw something he really liked about your writing?”

        “Shame on me for writing whatever he liked then.”

        “Can’t blame him though.” He smiled, as I felt his arm on my shoulder, giving it a quick squeeze. “Your books are seriously awesome.”