Chapter 4

Banner made by Effat8982 :)

***

My hand shot up on impulse, pulling on Mark’s tie, yanking him down to my level. I licked my dry lips, bringing his ear closer towards my face. “Distract him. Since this is your fault,” I ordered quietly.

         Mark nodded, fully understanding what I meant.

         I hoist myself off the ground, shoving him with my hands. I ignored the tingly sensation in my fingertips when they made connect with his chest. Keeping my eyes glued to the white-tiled floor, I bolted down the narrow hallway, before I heard the shouting of my name.

        I almost fell flat on my face in that second alone. Even though I heard his voice just yesterday on the phone, it was so much raspier in person—almost soothing to the ears. And when he shouted “Kylie!”, his old nickname for me, I almost stopped for a second.

        “Come on Liam, we need to discuss some important matters regarding our contract!”  

        I snapped out of my daze, thanking Mark for yelling his name out loud. For a split second there, I almost forgot who he was. I almost forgot how he treated me on that last day we were together—the reason why I hated him so much. But when Mark called his name, my eyes flashed cold, remembering everything. I ignored the rest of his shouting, before I hit the staircase, his voice finally disappearing as I descended down the stairs.

        I gave myself a hard smack on the hands for going weak back there, even though it was only for a tiny second. He’s your enemy, Skylar. Nothing else.

        I repeated that over and over again to myself, as I made my way towards the first floor.

        Once, I was outside of E.M. Press, I give a loud whistle, waving my hands in the air, trying to catch some attention. Soon, a yellow taxi cab pulled up on the side of the road with the cab number 0214. I rolled my eyes at the irony of that. Did fate really enjoy reminding me every single day of that dreadful date or what?

        I was about to call for another cab, but the pleasant smile on the driver’s face and fact that if I wanted another cab I’m probably gonna have to wait another five minute or so, changed my mind. I wanted, more like needed to get away from here. Especially since the person I was trying to avoid was only a few feet away from me.

        “Where are we going, Miss?” the driver asked politely, his kind eyes glancing at me in the rearview mirror, once I was safely buckled in.

        I automatically smiled in return. “59th Street, please.”

        “Will do!” he exclaimed cheerfully, switching the engine from park to drive.

        In the matter of two seconds, we were in the traffic of the big apple. Yup, that’s right: New York City. After making a new life for myself, I finally decided to move out of my parent’s house, and moved to an apartment on my own. Though, they currently weren’t far from where I live now, seeing as I still help out at my mom’s bakery every now and then. She was feeling a little bit better last night so she told me I didn’t need to come in today. Even though she said that, I’ll probably head in later today when the shop’s actually open just to check on her. Knowing my mom, when she says “she’s feeling better” it really means “I don’t want to bother you again.” Maybe, I’ll call dad, and get him to convince her to stay in, or something.