Chapter 25

"Wyatt. You know the guy you met at Barnes&Noble. The one that found you running away from this guy—"

"—Wyatt, can I talk to you for a minute?" Liam asked, nudging the guy named, Wyatt in the shoulder. Wyatt. Barnes&Nobles? Maybe I met him when I was getting books? But why was I running away from Liam? Were we goofing around or something?

"Ah . . . sure?" Wyatt scratched the back of his head, and slowly moved away from me. He then followed Liam out the door. I was able to see Liam mouthing something to Wyatt, before Liam closed the door.

I looked back at Christian. "So, um, who exactly was that?"

He shrugged. "Wyatt, I'm guessing."

I rolled my eyes. "Well, yes but who is he?"

"A friend?"

I nodded. A friend . . . and yet I couldn't for the life of me remember him. He said we met at Barnes&Noble, but the last time I even remember going into Barnes&Noble was at the beginning of the semester when I needed to rent out a textbook. But, other than that, I was clueless, and I really didn't like that. Knowing that two years worth of memories was completely wiped away from my brain was a scary thought. Especially since I don't even remember graduating from college. Nor, do I even know if I had gotten a job. Or if my manuscript for Sweetness turned Sour was accepted.

"Don't worry, Ms. Par—I mean Mrs. Pierce. Your brain hasn't forgotten your memories. It's just suppressing it right now. It's up to you to remember."

I smiled up at Dr. Kim. "Thank you. Would it possible to leave the hospital early? I know you said I can leave in a day or two depending on my PET scans, but do you think I would be able to leave tonight? I think it's best if I'm surrounded by familiar stuff. Maybe that will jog my memory somehow?"

"I can't promise you anything, but I'll let you know after we get your results."

"Okay." I grinned. "When do we—"

"—sorry about that," Liam said, coming inside. I glanced behind him and noticed the guy that was with him a second ago wasn't there anymore. "What did I miss?"

"Nothing," I answered. "Did you get everything sorted out with him?"

He lowered his head in a nod, and strolled over towards me. He took my hands in his, being careful with the tubes running up my arm. "Sorry about that, Kylie . . . Wyatt had to go but he wishes you well."

"Can you tell me how Wyatt and I met? From the way he reacted, it seems like he was a good friend . . ."

The muscles in his face tightened as he frowned. "Later. Right now, we need to worry about you first." Liam turned to Dr. Kim. "She's ready for those scans now."

"Great. Let me get a wheelchair for her," he said. He put his clipboard underneath his arm, and gave me a wave goodbye as he left the room.

"I'm going to make some calls," Christian announced. "I'll be in waiting room." He leaned over me, and gave me a soft kiss on the forehead. "Good luck."

I whispered a small, thanks, and watched him leave. My gaze shifted over to Liam, who was still holding my hand. His hand clenched around mine, squeezing my hand tightly. For some strange reason, it felt like he was holding on for dear life—almost like he was afraid to let go.

I tugged on his sleeve with my free hand. His forest green eyes gazed at me, a smile slowly sipping on his face. "What is it, love?"

"Did something happened between us before the accident?" The smile slowly slipped from his face. "Something did, didn't it?"