Epilogue

A boat glided through the water, a steady journey, which was at odds with the tumult of waves pounding down on the small vessel. Its dark paint seemed to have a sheen to it, a kind of lustre that could not ever be manufactured. If I looked close enough, I would be able to see the difference in the texture of the boat; it is made out of thousands of black hairs, all from other demons.

To think of why Slintas could be banished from the company of Hell's demons is no surprise. This one has no qualms of torturing his race. He had his fair share of human sacrifices as well... just to pass the time.

The mouth of the cave came into view, a treacherous mass of polished obsidian that somehow forms the lopsided entrance to Slintas's abode. Jagged spikes edge out from the opening, declaring you unwelcome. The humans I talked with, told me that the spikes will spear fear into a man's heart, sometimes even knock him stone-dead as he stares.

They don't frighten me. Yet, nothing seems to frighten me anymore.

As the boat glided in, the wizened man who serves as our guide turned to me.

"It is not too late to find a different path," he warned me. Once I might have thought that he cared of me and of our plight. But, he simply wants his money for giving me the information I sought and the passage he provides. Can't collect debts from the dead.

"It is already too late," I replied quietly. Sitting next to Liam, his hand finds me, to offer me solace. Pity, maybe. A promise that there is still affection for me. But I don't find any warmth in his grasp. Ever since the rituals, my body feels ice-cold. Not the warmest fire could leech this chill from me. I spoke the words and I drank the demon's blood.

The cave widened, the darkness growing less, as the narrow passageway turns into a larger opening, a filthy hovel coming into view. They talk of this house, the house made of humans. Nightmare, that's what they call it.

I have had worse nightmares.

The boat drew up, knocking gently down against the rock. I got to my feet steadily and walked off the boat. Liam followed, then as he left, the guide departed, quickly, his oar sweeping through the water fast, in his haste to disappear.

"My name is Danielle Esperanza!" I shouted, my voice echoing off the cave walls. "I come here, with my companion- Liam Masters- for gifts that I would exchange with my own."

We waited; Slintas was making his decision. They say that Slintas will blast you into pieces if he declines your offer. Rip you to shreds, without lifting a finger. Perhaps silence is the best option.

The hovel's door- which is a rack, full of jars of severed hands- slides open, an unearthly creaking sounding from it.

I take that to be an invitation.

Silently, I walked through, darkness hampering my vision as the hovel swallows me up. The rack slides back and closes the two of us in, making sure that there will be no escape providing Slintas is displeased with the deal.

A light flares up. Then another, and another, a whole escalade of candles springing to life and illuminating the hovel. Liam swore behind me, the curse-word not quite adequate for what we're seeing. It's not what you would call a pretty picture.

Human and demons alike, are spread throughout the walls and shelves of this room. Well, their various body-parts, that is. Tongues scream at me, from the side wall, a hundred or so nailed there. Eyes fill up jars, all staring beadily at me, whether humane or demonic black. Organs lie bloody and bountiful in boxes.

"Quite a collection," I said, surveying the room. It would have disarmed me, but I came prepared for this kind of spectacle. The local talk spreads quite a horror story, though a little more lavish than this tale. "No demon being tortured though?"