Chapter 1

"So sorry to be late, my Danielle," Raxis smirked as he breezed into the room. "Made a decision yet?" He was referring to the wedding dresses scattered casually on the ground, dreams in white, but now my nightmares in silver.

"No," I replied shortly. He sighed, and sat by my side, the silk of his designer suit brushing against my tense arm. I stiffened, my spine crawling. I could taste the bitter edge of fear in my mouth.

"The wedding is only in one month," he reasoned with me. A whiff of expensive cologne drifted to me. , a tang of acrid influence, like ashes. Only Raxis would wear the scent of fire: that which ravaged what it touched. Burnt down friendships, tore apart love. Love...

My love was lost to me. What a fickle, careless thing. I didn't know really, if I loved Liam, but what I did know, was that I cared for him. We had been through so much, binding ourselves closer and closer together, and yet to think it could be torn apart so easily...

A cold expression, shouting, ferocious words- it had been so fast, but love had been flung aside, and hate had sprung up between us. Whether he loved me, or hated me, I wasn't sure; all I could remember was his face twisted by sadness, despair, and pure anger.

Raxis had let him go free. I was to be his wife, and he didn't want me distracted by past lovers, as he had phrased it. Liam had never said goodbye, but I suppose, he wasn't allowed. I hoped that he was safe, and with his family once again. That was all I could do for him now. Hope.

I laughed under my breath- hope wouldn't do much for him, just like it hadn't done much for me. I remembered how I had clung to it in the Games, thinking it would bring me through-

"You really must pay attention," Raxis's smooth, and yet, dangerous voice broke stubbornly into my thoughts. "I was talking about the guest list." Stiffening at his words, I couldn't handle this sudden onslaught. He would invite my parents, and make them watch me, as I was binded by law to a demon, who had already taken so much from them. Like gently pushing the foundations of a card houses, everything toppled down...

"I was thinking..." he continued, his finger drawing circles on my bare leg. Chills sparked from my leg each time he did so, and I fought the urge to edge away. That would only anger him, and only pain could calm him of his violent temper. "We should have your parents invited of course, your father must give you away...." I had been right. My caring mother and father would be dragged into this nightmarish ceremony, and my father would have to give my hand to the killer of this country.

"And that boy should be best man, naturally." Freezing, he could only mean one person. Of course, the more pain we felt, the better the wedding. And we would- whether or not Liam had had his feelings cast away for a moment or forever, he would still be struck down as he watched me marry another. And I...my heart would be ripped another time. I would walk down that aisle, and I would see Liam standing there in a tuxedo, dressed to perfection, and I would imagine for a second that this wedding was not the joining of Raxis and I, but of Liam and I. And as I brought myself back to reality, it would be worse, as I took the hand, of the harsh, controlling, and bloodied Raxis, and not that of the one I truly wanted.

He knew all of this, he had calculated my feelings and his, and twisted them to his satisfaction. The Games were over for me, but another kind had began. And for the rest of eternity, I would stay in his demonic grasp, always playing his games. 

"He doesn't have to be involved in this," I urged him, desperately trying to make him change his mind. "Please, just leave him alone."

"But I can't let him miss the opportunity!" Raxis cried out in response. "He'll get the chance, of seeing you in a mind-blowing, wedding dress, and look the most beautiful you will ever be, and then he will see you stand by my side."