Chapter 17

I am frozen. For a minute, for an hour, for a day: it could have been any and I would not have known. Instead of raw horror filling me like water pouring into a glass, it is the natural fear, the natural panic. In one strangled scream, Charles, who has been sleeping on the mattress, wakes as suddenly as if he was attuned to my voice.

"The baby?" he asked, his tone steady and calm, one thing I definitely cannot attest to at this moment. I gave out a little whimper and through the light dark, Charles saw my nod. In a flash, Charles spun into action. Waking up fellow servants, he commanded them to go to Raxis to inform them of the beginning.

My faithful servant told the other to go to my mother and tell her of what had occurred; I would need her very much now. I just hoped that she would be up for the job; I worried that she would once again be in her lost state.

Right now, I was panicking. While Charles was sorting out all that needed to be done, my water had leaked onto the blankets of my bed, making me feel like a child that had just wet the bed. But this feeling that I had, was so unlike that and I was surprised I had mistaken it at first.

Suddenly, pain wracked through me and I cried out, the pain ripping its way through my throat. A contraction. My first contraction. It had begun.

My mother appeared by my side fast, a determined expression wrinkling her forehead and care emanating from her person. Her prominent love made me feel better and I almost cried in happiness, my worry that she would not be there for me pouring out in relief.

"Thank you," I rasped, my voice hoarse from the cries. "Thank you."

"You're with me now, Danielle," she soothed me, stroking my hair. "You're with me now."

Charles returned, his countenance gripped by action. "Danielle, do you think you can walk? The nurse will be able to be your midwife." The idea of medical personnel helping me through this nightmare calmed me and I nodded my head rapidly.

Leaning on Mum, we walked to the infirmary. All throughout, I was held prisoner by fear that the next contraction would not be far behind. As it was, I just barely ushered through the door that another half-scream was taken from me.

Swiftly being placed on the bed, the nurse- now my midwife- urged me to calm my breathing.

"Slowly," she coached me, demonstrating as she did so. "Nice and easy now." I followed suit though I really did not feel like breathing exercises. My mental Danielle was hyperventilating and screaming a lot. The midwife ripped away my night-dress and gently placed the half-hospital gown that stylishly clothes all patients.

I thought less of clothes and style when the next contraction ripped its way through me. It was like a lingering burning punch in my stomach; like a storm brewing and telling me that more was to come. Mum stroked my hand while cradling my head, making reassuring noises that semi-calmed me.

"The contractions are minutes apart," the nurse informed me, though I was fully aware of this fact. "They will start to come sooner and sooner until they are nonly seconds apart, and when they do, I want you to push."

"Push?" I asked half-hysterically. "How do you push? I don't know how to push! I don't know how to! What- how- I can't-"

"I need you to calm down Danielle," she said firmly. "Nice and calm."

"I can't calm down!" I shrieked. "I can't!"

"You will know how to push," the midwife reassured me. "It comes to you; it is not something you have to be taught."

"Okay," I swallowed this information, wildly hoping to believe. "Okay."

"You're going to be fine," Mum reassured me, stroking a lock of my hair away from my eyes. "I am so so proud of you, honey. Your... your father would be as well." My mother blotted her eyes almost like a reflex and I had to resist the urge to do the same.