43

Manik woke up at around 9 in the night when Nandini was doing a final check. Manik came and hugged her from behind and rested his head on her shoulder, surprising her.

"Manik" The tomato blush crept back on her face just like the old times, and she looked down.

"I missed you", He whispered in her ears softly.

"I missed you too a lot" she opened her arms to show how much.

"I know" He brought her hands back to encircle them with his own. "Are you done? We have to catch the flight at 2."

"Almost done" She wriggled out of his grasp and picked the crate in front of her.

"Where is Rishabh?" He asked casually.

"He has gone to the Chopras."

"What" He scowled. Nandini turned back, alarmed.

"Manik the Chopras have taken care of us in the past one and a half months. I know I screwed up but trust me, Manik, they are not bad people" She tried to make Manik understand.

Manik came and held her hands concerned "and that Arjun. Nandu, I was not there for three months. I agree you must have been broken, but shouldn't they be responsible for you if you were staying with them? Shouldn't you be responsible for yourself? "

"I know, Manik, everything seems wrong right now. They took care of Rishabh in my absence, and he got along well with their daughters. About Arjun, he is not a bad guy either."

"But Nan.." Nandini cut Manik in the middle by placing her hand on his mouth."Manik, please let me complete" She removed her hand. "Manik, he suffered from a tragedy. His lover cheated on him with his best friend. He was broken, and so was I. He took the support of alcohol and warned me, but I was adamant. It was becoming unbearable. We did not ask anybody and nobody caught us either. It was an immature mistake from both our sides, and I am really very sorry for doing what I did."

Manik looked into her eyes. "Do you consider Arjun as your friend?"

"I do" she looked down, embarrassed.

"Then your friend needs to know that what he was doing is wrong. Life does not start or end at one person" Nandini was shocked listening to this. Was this the same Manik Manlhotra?

"Since when did you start talking stuff like that?" She asked, stunned.

"Since I was away from you. "He smiled.

Someone knocked on the main door, and Nandini went to answer it. It was Mr Chopra on the door.

"Nandu, why didn't you tell us that you were leaving for Mumbai? Rishu told us right now that you are leaving. " Mr Chopra asked, entering the flat.

"Uncle, it happened suddenly. My friends came this morning, and I was going to come to meet you guys after finishing the packing," She explained.

"But suddenly", Mr Chopra looked sideways and found Manik standing. On that cue, Manik came and greeted him." Hi uncle. I am Manik."

"Oh, Arjun's friend. My wife told me this morning."

"No, Uncle, he is my boyfriend." Nandini cleared.

"But in the morning. Let it be. One fine young gentleman you are," Mr Chopras said, looking towards Manik, and he smiled at that.

"Did you eat something? Forget that take dinner with us and invite your friends. You can leave after that," Mr Chopra declared abruptly.

"Uncle, we are fine."

"I insist. One last dinner before you leave." Nandini nodded as she could not refuse.

Manik went to take a quick shower and Nandini woke Mukti and Dhruv. After they were freshened up, they left for dinner at Chopras. Everybody was there, Nandini introduced everybody, and all of them greeted each other. Mrs Chopra was more than happy to have so many people over at her house as she loved to cook. The two sisters instantly liked Manik and Dhruv, and they did not stop talking to them. Arjun was apprehensive and mostly stayed silent.

Arjun and Rishabh laid the table, and Mrs Chopra served dinner.

"So, what do you guys do in Mumbai?" Mr Chopra asked Manik, Mukti and Dhruv.

"We are musicians, Uncle," Manik answered.

"We are a band, the three of us and two other friends. They are in Mumbai," Mukti added. 

"Really! What do you play?" One of the sisters asked, exited, turning towards Manik.

"I am the guitarist and vocalist", Manik answered, taking a bite of his Idli.

"And you," The other sister asked Dhruv.

"I play the guitar."

"We would love to see you guys play sometime" Mukti and Nandini looked at the fangirling happening in front of them. They were thoroughly enjoying the show.

After dinner, all of them sat in the living area. Manik excused himself and went to Arjun, who was standing leaning on the wall.

"Arjun, can I have a word with you" Arjun looked at Manik, startled.

"Yeah", He agreed reluctantly and guided Manik to his room.

"Listen, Arjun. I am sorry for how I reacted this morning, but you deserved it" that was Manik, straightforward and frank. Arjun looked up, confused about where this conversation was going. Was Manik apologising or threatening him?

"Okay", Manik took a deep breath and continued ", I saw Nandini after three months, and I found her drunk. It was not easy for me to take it, and then I got to know that you had a hand in this, and I could not control myself. I will be very frank. I would have beaten you blue and black if Nandini hadn't stopped me." Arjun was terrified, but he did not say a word. "Later, Nandini told me about your girlfriend, and I realised where this must have come from" Manik put his hands on Arjun's shoulder, making him look into his eyes. "Alcohol is not a solution, mate. If one person deceives you, that does not mean that you stop living. Others care for you and for whom you should live. I cannot say much but think about it." Manik finished his pep talk, and Arjun stood motionless, comprehending what Manik said.

Manik was about to leave "Manik". He turned. "Nandini is lucky because she has you. I never wanted anything bad for her."

"I know" Manik smiled and left.