2

The car was speeding on the almost empty highway. A melodious song played in the background while Cabir and Manik talked about how they cannot let the album deal go for a toss as this could adversely affect their musical careers.

"I am sure Manik, this storm that we passed will only help us grow stronger. I am sure," Cabir assured Manik with a broad smile. The two best friends were having a heart to heart talk. Both of them were relaxed because everything was in place after a very long time, and they were satisfied. 

"I am sure, Cabir," Manik said with determination. The past few weeks were the worst nightmare for him. He was on the verge to lose the only family he ever had, his FAB 5, his lifeline, the people he could die for. Though now there was one more person for whom he could die, Nandini, his love and protector. He was just left to deal with Nyonika.

 He had already asked his dad to fly to Mumbai, and he could come any day, and that matter would also be closed forever. He was lost in his la-la land when Cabir brought his attention back to the present.

"Well, I hope you remember, you promised me something in Mangalore. When are you planning on finding the man for me?" Cabir asked Manik about the promise Manik gave him to find a perfect match for him, somebody he could love and be with.

"Soon, in fact, that is the next quest that I will take. You know ...." Manik was cut in between by the sound of his ringing phone. It was his dad; he asked Cabir to pick the phone and put it on speaker.

"Hey Dad", Manik greeted cheerfully.

"Someone sounds happy. That's good to hear. I have news for you, "Manik's Dad said

 "News, what is it?"

"I am in Mumbai. I just landed "

"Do you want me to pick you up? We are somewhat 10 minutes away from the airport."

"That will not be required. I will be fine on my own, and anyways don't you have that party you were talking about earlier today."

"We do have the ......" Manik stopped mid-sentence. He pressed the breaks to slow down the car as a few vehicles were approaching, but the car did not slow down. He looked briefly towards Cabir when he pressed the breaks again. The car did not stop. Manik tried not to panic and tried again, but the brakes did not work.

"Cabir the breaks, they are not working, "Manik said. Panic was written all over his face. He tried again but failed. Accidentally the call got cut. Manik calmed himself and made attempts to get the car in control while Cabir was sweating. When Manik was about to pull the hand brake, the car crashed into the truck with a loud thud. 

"Manik", Cabir shouted before hitting his head on the dashboard. Manik hit his head hard on the staring wheel. The airbags did open, but the damage was done. The car flipped, and everything came to a halt. The oil was leaking from the car. There were only a few cars on the road, a group of four women got out to help. There was a lot of blood oozing out of the injuries. Cabir was unconscious, but Manik was a little conscious. He wanted to save his friend at least. With difficulty, he unbuckled Cabir and pushed him out of the car. The women outside the car helped to pull Cabir, and they took Cabir away from the car. Another woman made a call to the police. Manik unbuckled himself and pushed himself out, but the moment he was out, the car blasted, throwing him away. Due to the intensity, he fell meters away and laid unconscious.