Chapter 35

Juliette knocked on the door twice. Her hand movement was determined and the knocking sound was loud. That was, of course, because of the self-motivational speech she's been giving herself for the last ten minutes while standing in front of the Divination classroom.

"Come in." Trelawney's voice pierced the door. Juliette opened it and walked in.

"Ah, Miss Avery." Trelawney smiled at the sight of Juliette, welcomingly opening her arms. "I'm so glad you decided to put an end to your stalling. I was wondering when you would come in."

Juliette frowned, "I wasn't–" she began her objection but realised that it was a waste of time. She tightened her grip on her bag and squared her shoulders.

"I'm ready to learn." She sounded like she was trying to convince not just Trelawney but also to convince herself. Before she came in, she rehearsed this moment in her head, thinking it would sound cool. The reality couldn't be further from the truth. Her voice shook a little bit and she tried to cover it up with a cough. Not cool.

The smile on Trelawney's face grew bigger, so did her eyes. Even though Juliette found it a bit creepy, she didn't take back what she'd just said.

"Wonderful!" The frizzy haired professor exclaimed, walking towards a round table. "Come, come sit here."

Her excitement didn't cease Juliette's nervousness, but it didn't boost it either. She did as the professor demanded and took her place at the chosen table for the occasion.

"I'm so happy to hear your decision." Trelawney said as she sat down in front of Juliette.

I didn't have much of a choice, Juliette wanted to say. She bit her tongue.

"I wanted to ask," She started, absentmindedly playing with the red tablecloth. "How can you be so sure that I'm a Seer? Things I see... they might be meaningless." At least that was what she's been hoping for.

Trelawney sent her a sympathetic smile. "Being gifted with the ability to see into the future is a very special and a rare thing, my dear. No ordinary witch or wizard can go into a trance and crystal-gaze with no effort. This is your natural endowment."

Juliette listened to her teacher with utmost attention, trying to find a loophole which would prove that she wasn't a Seer.

"But I've only seen one event, over and over again. Nothing else. Every time it came back, it'd become longer and I'd be more tired than I was the previous time."

Trelawney's expression transformed into a thoughtful one. "It's completely normal to experience exhaustion after entering a trance. But... Seers usually don't remember the event."

"Oh, I can never forget the things I've seen. They gave me countless sleepless nights, after all."

And let's not forget the times I opened my eyes in a hospital bed, she thought silently.

"Curious..." Trelawney squinted her eyes, looking deeply in thought.

A familiar purring sound was heard from the other side of the room. Juliette looked around for the voice, her fingers fidgeting awkwardly as she squirmed in her chair under the professor's gaze. The same brown-furred cat that Juliette saw the other day was sleeping on Trelawney's desk, right next to a small cauldron. Faint, pink fog was diffusing across the table. Juliette wondered if the potion was making the cat more comfortable since she was curled up against it, purring happily.

"May I ask, what are your visions about?" Trelawney broke the silence, gaining back her student's attention.

Juliette tensed up. What was she supposed to say? Snape specifically warned her not to tell anyone. Did Trelawney count as well or should she openly talk about it? She, after all, came here to ask for help, didn't she?