Chapter 18

In the morning, after waking up to a cloudy and opaque weather, Juliette was sitting on her usual seat at the Hufflepuff table. Her chin was resting in the palm of her left hand as she played with the scrambled eggs on her plate, mindlessly stabbing them with a fork. The smell of the breakfast filled her nostrils and the heat of her tea warmed her face every time she brought the cup to her lips.

"When is the last task?" One of Cedric's friends asked excitedly. She didn't look at him nor paid attention to Cedric's answer. Her mind was too preoccupied as it kept tearing itself down to pieces, giving life to a new thought and to another problem for her to worry about. She was undeniably sad. Anyone could see it. A sombre expression was all over her face.

She deeply regretted shutting Draco down in a very unfriendly way. She was honestly confused about what they meant to each other and she didn't want to assume that they were already friends or more. She also couldn't have known that he was going to be upset with her for stating the fact that they weren't even friends yet.

She lifted her head with a startle when loud screeches were heard. Numerous owls flew in the massive doors of the Great Hall with different letters and packages. Each bird had their own significant look and it didn't take long for Juliette to see her family's owl. The familiar brown feathers flew towards her as her heartbeat mildly accelerated with excitement.

Arei, who had a smaller form than an average owl, perched on the table right in front of her and looked at her with his wide eyes as if waiting for a praise. Juliette curiously, but at the same time nervously, took the letter from his small beak before petting him. He flew off before Juliette could open the letter that probably came from her father.

She was glad that her father didn't make her wait to reply back. That would only add more pain to Juliette's both internal and external agony.

"Is that from your father?" Cedric asked after throwing a mere glance at the envelope she was holding.

"Yes." She replied before opening it with impatience. Rustling of the paper filled her ears and brought out her curiosity as she ignored every noise made by the other students.

Juliette,

Everything is all right. Do not worry about anything but your classes. And stay out of trouble,

Your father.

The only reaction she could display was a surprised, and maybe a little bit disappointed, parting of her mouth. She dropped the carefully folded paper next to her half empty plate.

She couldn't believe she fell down from the stairs that resulted with a huge swelling on her forehead and had an argument with Draco just to receive this not-so-helpful letter. Unbelievable.

"Well?" Juliette looked at Cedric with an unhappy expression. "You don't look pleased."

"That's because I'm not." She replied, folding the paper again and putting it back in the slashed envelope.

"What did he say? Is something wrong?" He asked with a frown. If she looked carefully enough, she could see the faint worry in his grey eyes.

Juliette silently shook her head. Cedric thought she looked strangely defeated as he examined her expression to find a clue about the letter's content.

Juliette's tired eyes absentmindedly wandered around the grand room while she thought about what to do next. Surely her visions were not normal. Were they really happening because of her tiredness or was that snake trying to show her something? Maybe it was a sign. But a sign of what? She thoughtfully asked to herself with an exasperated sigh.