Chapter 33

Two days went by in the blink of an eye. Juliette didn't even notice when the days started and ended. She didn't notice students passing by her anxious and tired self. Her shoulders got bumped by others as she walked around aimlessly in the corridors, trying to get to her classes. She didn't acknowledge Neville when he happily sat down right next to her with a good morning.

She also didn't see McGonagall walking towards her table during the class.

"Miss Avery, I believe I asked you a question." Asked the professor before fixing her glasses. Her tone was anything but delighted.

Juliette's emotionless eyes were focused on the old desk's wooden surface. She inspected every scratch like she was trying to memorise it. Her mind was almost completely empty, the unpleasant memory of Trelawney's assertion being the only thought she could think about. Involuntarily, of course.

Neville nudged Juliette's shoulder while everyone turned to look at her when she failed to answer.

Juliette, startled by Neville's sudden touch, sent him a strange look and noticed how he was motioning McGonagall with his eyebrows.

Juliette looked up. The Transfiguration professor was standing before her with folded arms and a displeased frown. She was wearing her scolding face.

"I'm sorry, what?" Juliette asked, her voice sounding like she just woke up from a deep sleep. Her classmates snickered, which got ignored by McGonagall.

"I asked you a question ages ago," McGonagall said. "Would you like to answer now or should I give you more time to decide?" She asked sarcastically.

Juliette felt a blush creeping on her cheeks. She averted her eyes, feeling embarrassed, and focused on the desk surface again. On the right corner of the desk, right next to where Neville's hand was resting, there was a couple of scratch marks which gave her the impression that someone was trying to draw what looked like a broomstick.

"I didn't–" She started but her voice came too weak and raspy. "I didn't hear the question."

Minerva McGonagall gave her student a dissatisfied look, showing her disappointment even though Juliette's eyes were occupied with something else entirely.

"Oh, I'm well aware." The professor said, turning around and walking towards her desk with her head held high. "Pay attention, Miss Avery."

After that Juliette tried to listen to the lesson as much as she could but it was almost an impossible task. There was an invisible barrier, blocking her mind from reacting to anything going on on the outside world, forcefully trapping her in a dark and small room so she couldn't escape from her thoughts, memories, dreams, visions...

She was so closed off that she couldn't even see the curious look Hermione was sending her from across the room. Or Harry's suspicious eyes. Even Neville's concerned expression went unnoticed by Juliette, who was sitting right next to him.

▬۩▬

Towards the end of the day, Juliette walked to her Potions classroom which was her last period for the day. She was surrounded by Hufflepuffs and Slytherins but anyone who took one look at her could see how lonely she looked.

She couldn't really remember the last time she had a decent talk with someone else. It wasn't with Cedric, that was for sure. She's been ignoring him, trying not to see his face so she could eventually forget about her visions... or prophecy as Trelawney would call it.

Prophecy! Juliette scoffed silently. It was impossible. She was no Seer. She has never even been able to predict something during Divination classes or read tea leaves. She's never seen anything unusual via her crystal orb up until now. It had to be something else. It had to be something else.