Chapter 41

Hi, so sorry for the late update. I've been enjoying my Christmas break by doing absolutely nothing.

*I took Dumbledore's speech exactly from the books because 1- I love it and find it very powerful and emotional and 2- I'm really bad at giving speeches.

Enjoy :)

▬۩▬

"So..." Trelawney thoughtfully tapped her nails against the table surface. "You're telling me that you saw all this in a vision?"

Juliette uncomfortably scratched her neck.

"Yes."

Trelawney hummed. She, surprisingly, wasn't shocked by the news. She wasn't pleased or displeased either. Her expression didn't give any hints about what she was thinking or how she was feeling.

"And you're telling me this now, why?"

"I had to, uh..." Juliette scratched her nose. "I had to get it off my chest."

"I see." Trelawney murmured, fixing her eyes on her miserable-looking-on-a-concerning-level student.

Juliette scratched the palm of her left hand this time. She then started to squeeze her fingers with her opposite hand, one by one. It was uncontrollable and embarrassing. She hid them under the red tablecloth.

"I feel so guilty. And I feel stupid. I should've told him the truth about me being a Seer. I could've saved him." Juliette rambled on but Trelawney didn't say anything. She was quietly watching her.

"Don't– Don't you think?" Juliette asked unsurely. She went back to the common room and changed into her uniforms before visiting Trelawney. Her school skirt was now constantly being used as a tissue paper as she kept wiping her sweaty hands on the clothing item.

"It would change nothing. In fact, you could cause something worse." Trelawney surprised Juliette.

"How?"

"I told you this before, my dear. We're Seers. We can't change what's already been written. We see and interpret. That's all. If you've told Mr Diggory about his possible death, it wouldn't change anything. I don't believe it would. But if you tried to alter the future, you could set ground for something even worse. Maybe he would live to die later..."

Juliette shivered. Her eyes got watery.

"You would think that you saved him, but what if you caused someone else's death as well? Is it worth to gamble on possible outcomes of the future?"

Juliette pursed her lips angrily. She wanted to come here because she thought Trelawney would give her comfort. Tell her that she would save the day next time, maybe? Tell her that Cedric would be disappointed to see her like this. So sad and dejected.

"Of course it is worth it." Juliette answered without thinking. "It's his life."

Trelawney sighed and leaned back.

"You have to see the bigger picture. You still don't understand what your gift is."

Juliette wiped her hands on her skirt one last time before raising one hand to rub her forehead. Another headache was starting to surface, taking advantage of her stress.

"I mean no disrespect, Professor, but you're not helping." She said and pushed her chair back to stand up.

"You're grieving and that's understandable, but you should give yourself some time before diving into this subject again–" Trelawney stopped talking when she realised that Juliette wasn't listening. Raising her eyebrows with surprise, she watched her student walk towards the classroom door and exit without uttering another word.