chapter thirty-eight

Earlier

"Zuko, it's just a dumb play. Don't let some irrelevant actors get to you." I tried to cheer up my boyfriend as he sat on the floor of the lobby with his hood over his head.

"You don't get it, it's different for you. They're playing you as a strong warrior that takes down ten bad guys at once, and a sweet person who takes care of everyone in the group. But for me, all the mistakes i've made in my life are being shoved back in my face." Zuko expressed his feelings, making me sit down beside him and rub comforting circles on his chest.

"Zuko, we all know that's not the real you up there. It's okay, the play will be over soon."

"Even when things were bad, uncle Iroh was always there for me. He taught me so much, and how do i repay him? With a knife in his back. It's my greatest regret, along with being a jerk to you. I'll never get to redeem myself."

"Zuko, you've already redeemed yourself. You've done so much for your new friends. You've helped Aang, Sokka, and Katara, and i'm really proud of you for that. All your uncle ever wanted was for you to find your true path, and see the light. Look at you now, you're here with us. I swear that once we find him, he'll show you how proud he is."

"I don't deserve you. You're the greatest girlfriend anyone could have."

"Yes, you do deserve me. And sucks to be everyone else, because i'm yours."

After a while of sulking, Zuko finally smiled and removed his hood. He then grabbed my face unexpectedly and gave me a passionate, yet sloppy kiss. I immediately kissed him back and pulled onto his hair with one of my hands, causing him to deepen our smooch.

"Hey, cool Zuko costume!" Someone in the hallway approached us, causing me to quickly back away from Zuko to see who it was, and what they were referring to. It appeared to be the actress playing Aang in the play, since there was currently an intermission taking place. "However, your scar is on the wrong side."

"The scar is not on the wrong side!" Zuko corrected aggressively as Aang's actress galloped away, making me giggle.

~

Present

       The gang and i were sitting on the stairs at the entrance to Zuko's old family house on Ember Island, watching him continue to train Aang. We all hoped that he would master the art of firebending soon, since the big event was coming up in a matter of days.

"More ferocious!" Zuko ordered, crossing his arms as Aang leaped around and followed one of Zuko's firebending techniques. "Imagine striking through your opponents heart."

"I'm trying!" Aang grunted as his flames dissolved and turned into black smoke, causing him to tense up.

"Now let me hear you roar like a tigerdillo!"

Aang let out a small roar that sounded like there was something stuck in his throat, disappointing Zuko.

"That sounded pathetic! I said roar!"

Aang then let out a larger and more frightening roar as flames erupted from his mouth, as if he were a dragon. I clapped my hands, feeling impressed as Momo panicked and hid behind Zuko's leg.

"Who wants a nice, cool glass of watermelon juice?" Katara offered, holding two fruity beverages in her hands as a wide smile formed on her face.

"Oh, me! Me, me!" Aang pleasantly stuck his tongue out, jumping up and down out of excitement. Just as he was about to gallop towards the waterbender, Zuko grabbed onto his shirt and pulled him up into the air.