chapter twenty-eight

We stumbled upon a town with a polluted river because a metal factory was placed onto the land to make weapons for the Fire Nation. The families and citizens were ill and starving, it was really upsetting to see. Katara pretended to be the Painted Lady water spirit, and helped heal and feed those who lived there. They were grateful, and decided to work together to clean their lake and remove the gunk out of it. We stayed for a few days to help out, but then we had to keep moving. Sokka had a schedule, and planned every step we took in order to be prepared for the invasion we had coming up.

"Wow, that's amazing to watch." The five of us were laying down and watching the dark sky, admiring the shooting stars in our current location.

"Makes you realize how insignificant we are." Sokka acknowledged.

"Eh, i've seen better." Toph joked, making me snort.

"Oh, man. Look at that one." Aang pointed towards a shooting star. However, this one appeared thicker, and was coming down very quickly.

"Wait a minute-." I began, but was interrupted by the sound of a chaotic boom. The shooting star turned out to actually be a comet, and landed close to a town nearby. A giant flame formed, and we all shot up instantly and mounted Appa, preparing to go put it out.

"If we don't hurry, it will reach the town!" Katara cried out as Appa flew towards the destruction, taking us there fast.

"We're gonna stop it." Aang ordered as Appa landed.

"There's a creek over there, i'm going to bend the water and bring it over here." Katara replaced Aang's spot on Appa as the rest of us leaped off of the bison. The two of them took off and Aang began to give instructions.

"Toph, let's make a trench to keep the fire from coming any closer." Aang bolted towards the flames with Toph by his side.

"Is there anything Sokka and i can do?" I stood behind awkwardly, not exactly having the bending abilities to be able to join them.

"Yeah, what should i do?" Sokka pulled out his club and gave Aang a look of annoyance.

"...Keep an eye on Momo." Aang looked back for a second, directing the flying lemur towards us.

"So, we're just lemur-sitters?" Sokka pouted as Momo landed on his head.

"There, you feel better?" I teased him as Momo began to rub his face against his scalp.

Appa and Katara came flying back to us with water being twirled around above them, revealing that Katara was bending it. She then turned it into rain and drizzled it all over the fire, slowly putting it out. As she did that, Aang and Toph created a wall from earthbending to keep the flames in one spot, mainly to make it easier for me and Sokka to avoid.

"One last thing to do!" Katara shouted, then turned the rest of her water into snowflakes, creating a pretty scene as the fire finally went out entirely.

"That's a cool final touch." I commented as i watched Aang, Appa, Katara and Toph make their way back towards us.

"Yeah, sure." Sokka sighed, a hint of sadness in his voice.

~

"These people have no idea how close they were to getting toasted." Said Aang as he sat down next to me, Katara and Toph in the outdoor restaurant.

"The worst thing about being in disguise, is we don't get to hear the hero worship anymore. I miss the love." Toph confessed after she bit into her apple.

"Boo hoo, poor heroes." Sokka mocked as he sat at another table. None of us knew why he was in such a poor mood.

"What's your problem?" Katara returned. "You haven't even touched your sea slug."