chapter twelve

"Appa and I go way back. Don't we, boy?" Sokka walked up the bison, interrupting his lunch. He then pushed Sokka over, and attacked his face with a kiss, wetting his hair completely and shaping it into a mohawk.

"Looks like you haven't been spending enough time with Appa." Yue giggled.

"Come on, Yue, we'll give you a ride." I hopped onto Appa's back, then offering my hand for Yue to take. She accepted and I helped her get into the saddle.

"Coming, Sokka?" Her sweet voice questioned, leaning over the saddle only to see a grumpy look on his face.

"Yes, I'm coming." Sokka jumped into the saddle and grabbed onto Appa's bridle.

"So how does this work?" Yue held onto Sokka for support.

"You'll see, hang on tight." I instrcuted, waiting for Sokka to say the magic words.

"Yip, yip."

Appa flew into the sky, circling around one of the palaces.

"Oh my goodness!" Yue exclaimed, adrenaline running through her veins. "Wow, I can't believe you do this everyday."

"We pretty much live up here." I joked.

"Is it always this cold up here?" Yue shivered, leaning into Sokka.

"Not when you're with someone." Sokka replied, giving Yue a smile which caused a blush to appear on her cheeks.

Sokka was about to kiss Yue, but stopped once he remembered she was engaged. I thought it was really unfortunate, since it was arranged and Yue didn't seem to love her fiancé.

Sokka inhaled deeply. "Ah, good times, good times." He awkwardly scratched his back. I'll admit I was third wheeling, but being with the two of them was better than staying back and doing nothing while Aang and Katara trained.

The snow falling through the air turned black, Sokka and I instantly knew what is was.

"Oh, no."

"It's soot. I've seen it before, when my village was attacked by the Fire Nation." Sokka confirmed.

"This isn't good, we need to go back." I suggested, worrying for the tribe's safety.

~

The citizens of the tribe were terrified. Nonbenders, families and children were rushed to their homes, preparing to hide from the Fire Nation and keep safe. The rest of the tribe, warriors, waterbenders and anyone skilled were in the main hall including me, Aang, Katara and Sokka. We were waiting for the Superiors to give a speech.

"The day we have feared for so long has arrived. The Fire Nation in on our doorstep. It is with great sadness I call my family here before me, knowing well that some of these faces are about to vanish from our tribe. But, they will never vanish from our hearts. Now, as we approach the battle for our existence, I call upon the great spirits. Spirit of the ocean, spirit of the moon, be with us! I will need volunteers for a dangerous mission. A warning, many of you will not return. Come forward to receive my mark if you accept the task."

"Count me in!" Sokka stood up, submitting himself. Others have volunteered as well, and made their way towards the stage.

"Sokka, no!" Katara and I refused in unison.

Sokka didn't listen, instead he walked towards the group, then they all left together.

~

We all stood in one giant line, at the front of the tribe. A ship could be seen in the distance, making me slightly panic, not being prepared for a fight. Suddenly a blast of fire came our way, shocking everyone. It hit the water insignia on the bridge, going right through it. More blasts of fire came our way, Aang deciding he'd hop onto Appa and fly towards the ship, in an attempt to stop it. We all watched, in hopes that Aang will succeed.