Chapter 41: Mr. Grinch

OLIVIA

The Grinch.

Rotten tomato of a thing known best for his scowl. The tiny heart in his narrow chest that, somehow, manages to beat. It beats plenty, considering all the energy he has to chew glass.

That bad banana. His heart is two sizes too small, but his dog stays loyal... Well... I don't know about that part, but...

This guy got all this food that he could enjoy all on his own. Mountains of feast for days! But, epiphany struck his shrinking soul.

And then his heart grew.

Three sizes.

"Why can't my grinch be like that?" I thought to myself, watching Rob as he frowned at the TV.

What's his problem?

I don't see the issue with watching Spongebob on a Saturday afternoon. Such a grump.

"Stop scowling," I said, quietly as I watched him. He sighed, looking over at my slightly smiling face.

"I'm turning off the TV. It's too much stimulation for the kids' brains," he got up and reached for the remote.

I gasped, "no," launching one of the grapes in my bowl at his active hand.

He looked between the wet spot on his hand and me, agape.

"What the hell?!"

"Don't be such a grump, Robert..." I resisted the urge to laugh at his salty face, "if you must change to something, put in a Christmas movie. Preferably, Home Alone 2. Thanks."

He smiled, his lips pressed into a thin line from irritation. I was just pushing his buttons today, and enjoying it. I feel kind of bad admitting that, but it was funny. For some reason, all the little things I was doing were annoying him to no end. He woke up this morning looking like one of those cats with the frowns on their faces.

And, I was just as happy as could be. The babies were happy with me, laughing and smiling all the time. They've even started calling me mommy. But, with Rob? Oh, God... His nasty attitude has just been rubbing them the wrong way. Well, Nuru was trying her best to have patience with her father. She smiled at him so much in an attempt to put a smile on his face.

It worked, slightly.

Well, until I popped in SpongeBob.

"Whatever you wish, princes-," he rolled his eyes, causing me to giggle, "I mean, queen."

******

"Okay, babe, this is the next pose," I said, lifting my phone up from my yoga mat to show Rob.

It's Saturday, and I wanted to go out as a family. Sure, I go to the park or to some of the girls from the club's places and our kids play together. We drink tea, have some snacks, maybe a meal together, laugh and chat about our lives and each other. It's good time to bond.

I've become so close with some of the women from the club, but I miss my husband...

Did I say husband?

I meant boyfriend.

I wanted us to go out and spend some time together as a family today, then go on a date tomorrow. But, he says he's tired from work and his muscles are tense.

What better way to relieve tension than with yoga?

He looked at the phone, panting from exhaustion. I could tell this was making him tired, and that didn't surprise me one bit. He believed in the gym being where people really get fit, as well as sprinting and running. After many attempts at convincing me to get off of my mat and into the facility, he finally gave up and let me be.