Humble beginings

3 DEEP

            HUMBLE BEGININGS

Life can be a mystery, especially when you’re young. There are some many things you don’t know and have yet to experience. The thing is, you have to know what to experience. This is something a lot of people learn the hard way, because not all experiences are good. One wrong choice and you may go through something that will change your life forever.

            In the city San Tera, on a Saturday evening, two young kids were playing ball at a local park. They were goofing off, enjoying the empty basketball court. The one wearing black shorts and tank top was Sarrachi (Sa-ra-chi). He’s a nine-year-old dark skinned male with medium braids. Not tall for his age, Sarrachi was known for running off at the mouth.

      His partner Tyrell (Tie-Rell) was wearing a large white shirt and black shoes. He has a dark fade with a rat-tail. Tyrell is nine-years-old, dark brown skin, and is a little taller than Sarrachi. Tyrell, unlike Sarrachi, didn’t talk as much.

      Tyrell was dribbling his basketball back and forth between his legs. He stared at Sarrachi in a boastful manner. Switching styles, he spun around dribbling the ball in his right hand. Sarrachi leaned on the fence notably unimpressed.

      “’Wow’, you can dribble between ya nuts,” Sarrachi teased. Tyrell stopped, threw the ball in the air, and caught it behind his back.

      “Whatever.” He called back. “You just mad cause you can’t ball.” Tyrell backed to the three-point line, bounced the ball three times, and threw it in the air. The ball slipped through the chain net perfectly. “You lookin’ at the next Wilt Chamberlin.” he bragged. Sarrachi sucked his teeth and walked closer to his friend.

      “Yea right,” He doubted. “That nigga got shoes bigger than you. Pass me the ball, Imma show you real skills.” Tyrell flung the ball to him with force. After Sarrachi caught it, he poorly dribbled to the goal post where he tossed the ball at the goal. Tyrell watched in amusement as the ball rolled around the rim before it fell off. He burst into laughter at his friend’s missed shot.

      “I don’t know what you laughin’ for,” Sarrachi growled.  “Basketball’s lame anyway.”

       “Yea… if you can’t play,” Tyrell joked. He jogged to the ball and picked it up. While retrieving the ball, Tyrell couldn’t help but notice a large group of older guys come on the court. Dribbling back to Sarrachi, Tyrell went past the three-point line. He got ready to shoot and took his time aiming. He jumped in the air and released the ball. It was on a straight path for a clean shot, when one of the older guys leaped and smacked it away. Landing on his feet the guy stood tall with a menacing grin.

      “Get yo weight up boy!” He shouted while he hit his chest. Tyrell looked offended and jogged to get the ball.

      “What you do that for?” Tyrell questioned. “That was pure net.”

       “So? … Diaper league’s over. Ya’ll gotta bounce,” the guy commanded. Sarrachi and Tyrell glanced at each other then the older guys.

      “We been here first. We’ll split the court in half. This goal ours, and the other yours,” Tyrell stated.

      “Split the court in half?” the guy repeated. “Naw lil nigga. How bout ya’ll go home and watch some loony toons.” The group broke into laughter at his joke. Sarrachi took his remarks to heart and felt insulted.

      “Man, if I wanted to watch loony toons, I watch you play,” Sarrachi replied.

      “OOOOhhhhhh!” a few teens in the background shouted.