Back in the day

The next day Diamond was still in the hospital lost in a coma. She lay in bed with her eyes sealed shut. The heart monitor connected to her body kept constant track of her heart rate. The device beeped every so often letting the doctors know she was still alive. Unable to move or respond to outside contact, Diamond was trapped in a seemingly endless dream.

            Eight years ago when Diamond was nine years old, she sat on the porch of her cousin’s house. Her best friend Khia stood in front of her jumping rope a mile a minute. Diamond counted every swing of the rope as Khia began to speed up. Once Khia reached her top speed she tripped on the rope, ruining her goal.

            “How many was that?” Khia asked.

            “Eighty-four,” Diamond responded. “I told you you couldn’t do a hundred. Now gimme my dolla.” She extended her hand to Khia.

            “Naw-uh, let me get one mo’ try, and I’ll get it!” she exclaimed, starting to jump rope again.

            “Ughhh…” Diamond grazed her hands over her face. “Khia this yo fifth, six try. I’m tired of countin’, I ain’t even care about the dolla no mo’.” Khia seemed to ignore her as she continued to jump rope. Diamond cut her eyes at her friend. “Fine… you can keep count yo self!” Khia stopped jumping and dropped her rope.

            “Eh… I’m tired of this anyway.,” she agreed. “You wanna come with me to the store?”

            “Aint nobody feel like walkin’ in this heat.” Diamond replied.

            “Com’ on Dia. I’ll buy a soda, I owe you a dolla anyway.” Khia offered. Diamond sucked her teeth, but couldn’t pass up the opportunity. She stood to her feet with attitude and followed Khia down the sidewalk. “So you thought of a name yet?”

            “Not really, but I got some ideas,” Diamond answered. She was referring to the R&B group her and Khia dreamed on becoming. “G.I.T.H.”

            “G.I.T.H?” Khia repeated. “What that mean?”

            “Girlz in the hood,” Diamond joked, as she broke into laughter with her friend.

            “Ya know what’s really funny?” Khia added. “I thought of the same thing!” Diamond softy chuckled as they entered the store. “We need to come up with somethin’ betta though.” They wanted to make it to the top through music. And with Diamond’s singing ability, and Khia’s aspiration to become a rapper, they planed on being the next best thing since ‘T.L.C’. Khia wandered through the isles of the corner store looking for groceries. “What kinda soda you want?  … Cherry?”

            “How you know?” Diamond asked. Khia rolled her eyes, getting two candy bars off the self.

            “Cause, that’s what you always drinkin’.” she said, placing the food and drinks on the counter. “Drink it like it’s water.” Khia paid for the items and handed Diamond a candy bar and her drink.

            “I do not!” Diamond denied, even though she knew it was the truth.

            “Okay… then what you drink last night?”

            “Not no Cherry soda,” Diamond snapped, lying through her teeth. Khia gave her a look of disbelief as they walked out of the store.

            “Liiaaar!” She sang. “You can’t fool me! I see and know everythang.”

            “Then how come you aint see that ‘F’ comin’ in Mrs. Marry class?” Diamond joked. They joined in laughter at Diamond’s remark while heading down the sidewalk, but their joy was short lived. A barrage of gunfire echoed throughout the streets in front of them. Khia and Diamond dropped to the ground covering their heads. Having nothing to hide behind, the two children crawled to each other, finding refuge amongst themselves.