The Murda Maifa

Three days later, Tyrell was at the park supervising his younger cousins James, Mira, and Tommy. He was dressed in a black hoodie, dark blue jeans, and brown boots with a bandana around his head. Instead of coaching his cousins in basketball like he said he would, Tyrell was on the sidelines fiddling with his new handgun. His youngest cousin Mira was standing next to him doing more coaching than he was. Mira’s only five and a half years old, but thought she was ten. She followed her older brothers up and down the court in an attempt to coach them.

Tommy struggled to get past James’s defense. He fought his way to the goal post and went for a lay up, but his brother James blocked his shot. Tyrell looked up just in time to see what happened.

“Come on Tommy,” Tyrell said. “You gotta be more forceful! If you got someone on you like that, then you rush the goal!”

“Rush the goal!” Mira shouted and pointed at the basketball post. Tired and sweaty, Tommy gazed at his sister with an unkind face.

“mmhm,” Tyrell nodded. “Aye James, good D.”

“Yea. Good D James!” Mira repeated. James went back to their starting positions, leaning in his defensive stance. Tyrell nodded at Mira to let them know they could start. “Ready… set… Go!” Tommy raced toward the goal nudging James in the chest while doing so. James was pressed back by the force of Tommy’s charge. About two feet from the goal post, Tommy jumped in the air and released the ball above his brother’s head. The ball slid through the net goal and bounced on the ground. Tommy turned to Tyrell with pride in his eyes; unfortunately he didn’t have his cousin’s attention. Staring down the barrel of his handgun, Tyrell was in another zone.

Tommy got agitated that Tyrell missed his highlight. He tossed the ball to his brother so they could start another round. While Tyrell was still entranced by his weapon, he felt a slight tug on his shirt. When he turned around he saw Mira was holding her crotch.

“What the hell?”

“I have to go to the bathroom,” Mira squealed. Tyrell looked her up and down.

“Damn Mira…” He complained. After checking the area for the nearest restroom, Tyrell knew he had to go to the burger king across the street. “Come on.” He led her away from the park toward the road. There was no traffic light in the area to slow the cars down, so crossing the street would be a little dangerous. Tyrell took Mira’s hand watching the movement of the cars closely. When the traffic finally cleared, he jogged across the street with Mira behind him. Once in Burger King, Mira ran to the restroom. She came out about five minutes later shaking her hands dry. When Mira walked to Tyrell, he knew she wanted something.

“What? … You want somethin' to eat?” Tyrell asked. He really hoped she didn’t. Mira’s head moved up and down.

“Pleeaase Tyrell,” She begged. Tyrell sucked his teeth while he went for his wallet. He took out two dollars and handed it to her.

“Get What ever you can get.” He sighed.

“Yay!” Mira skipped to the cash register with a smile on her face.

It wasn’t long before they left the restaurant crossing the street rather quickly. By the time they were back in the park, Tyrell found that Tommy and James were playing a pick up game with two other kids.

Tyrell was somewhat in relief; he didn’t feel like coaching them anyway. He walked to a table a few feet away and took a seat with Mira. She torn open the Burger King bag and began eating. Tyrell stared off into the distance; thoughts of his future swarmed his mind.

“I don’t know how, but imma make it to the NBA,” Tyrell said out of nowhere. Mira looked at him with food in her mouth. “You know my coach said I been good enough to go straight out of high school.” He glanced at Mira who didn’t seem to pay him much attention. That was okay with Tyrell, he just wanted to someone to hear him talk. “I’m trynna tell you Mira, when I make it to the top, we all gon be eatin’.”