Chapter 19

A more accurate description of what happened: Basically, some of Kuroko’s passes after he whacks it are bounce passes which goes in the direction whacked. However, the ball turns back to Kuroko once the ball hits the ground instead of towards the person he whacked it to. Explanation of how is in the story down there ^_^

Chapter 19

“Hey, Kurokocchi, what was that?” Kise-kun asked next right after Aomine-kun did. “The ball hit the ground after you whacked it, then it went back to you! How did that happen?”

“I thought it was going to be passed to me!” Aomine-kun grumbled.

Kuroko fidgeted. “It was a new technique I was planning to try out… I don’t think I can do it with a basketball yet…”

Sudden claps could be heard from the benches as their coach stood up and walked towards Kuroko, saying, “Oh! Kuroko, so that’s why you had been reading those physic books! So, can you explain how this pass works?”

Akashi-kun threw the table tennis ball to Kuroko so that he could explain. Kuroko sat down onto the floor, much to everyone’s surprise, and started, “If you ever played with a table tennis ball, most of us would have played with it like this.” Kuroko placed the ball onto the floor and pressed the tip of his fingers on it, thus making the ball roll outwards. Then, at where the ball reached the furthest, the ball turned back towards Kuroko’s hands.

Apparently some people who did not try that out immediately asked for the ball to try it but Akashi-kun gave them glares for interrupting and they stopped. Kuroko continued, “See, because I pressed the ball down, the ball spun inwards as it travelled outwards because I forced it outwards. Then when the spinning force is greater, the ball turned back inwards towards me.” Kuroko stared up to see if everyone was following.

Everyone seemed fine all except for Kagami-kun, Aomine-kun and Kise-kun. Ignoring their questioning stares, he explained, “So just now, when Kise-kun passed me the ball, I purposely whacked it so that the ball spun towards me while it was travelling towards Aomine-kun. But when it hit the ground, the ball travelled back because it was spinning towards me, allowing me to pass it to Akashi-kun instead.”

Some of them nodded in understanding. Kuroko suggested, “That is why it would be good if Akashi-kun is my new light. He can predict my movements and I can predict my team’s. Akashi-kun would be able to catch this new pass without any problems. Since I will know where my team members are, I can decide which type of pass I would like to do, this new pass or a normal misdirection pass. Akashi-kun would also know what I decide the moment I move to pass it.”

Shirogane-kantoku scratched his chin thoughtfully. “Yes… That would work well! Great idea Kuroko!”

“Kurokocchi! That’s soooooo cool! I don’t understand all of what you just said, but you can troll your opponents! Can we call it the Troll Pass?” Kise-kun asked excitedly. Kuroko stared at him blankly and shot down the idea immediately.

Kise-kun wined while Mayuzumi-kun proposed, “Kuroko-sempai, how about naming it the Return Pass? It did go back towards you after all.” Kuroko thought for a while and nodded.

Everyone dispersed to their own personal practice since they were considerably done with their mini-games. Some even challenged themselves to do their personal practice with the different balls that the coach and Akashi-kun brought. Mayuzumi-kun had asked for the table tennis ball to try the Return Pass. However, the ball never returned towards Mayuzumi-kun.

Meanwhile, Kuroko was trying out the Return Pass with a tennis ball with Akashi-kun. Mayuzumi-kun came up to them to ask Kuroko why he could not do it. Akashi-kun frowned and said, “Compare your hand sizes.”

The two did as they were told. Surprisingly, Kuroko’s hand length was longer than that of Mayuzumi-kun’s. Akashi-kun explained, “I believe your hand has to be long enough to make the ball spin fast enough. In this case, Tetsuya is able to do it as his hand is long enough to spin the ball.”

That was the only logical explanation Kuroko could think of too. Mayuzumi-kun replied disappointedly, “Oh… Alright, I will go resume with my training, then.”

Kuroko went over to reassure him, “Mayuzumi-kun, I believe everyone will have their own talents. You will find talents unique to you only in the future.” Mayuzumi-kun seemed to lighten up a bit and continued with his own usual training.

Returning back to the task at hand, Kuroko was almost perfecting his Return Pass with a tennis ball. “You have to spin it faster the larger the ball gets, so whack it harder,” Akashi-kun ordered. Kuroko nodded and tried it once again, causing the tennis ball to turn back.

Practice continued without a hitch while Akashi-kun supervised Kuroko in perfecting the Return Pass with a tennis ball first. As the two parted ways with the rest of the team, Akashi-kun asked, “Tetsuya, I think that that new method of passing as a lot of potential. I finally understand why you wondered about having two phantoms on a team. With you passing like that, it would seem so. However, I was thinking, after we master the Return Pass with a basketball, we could perhaps try and spin it in such a way that once the ball hits the ground, it bounces off in another direction to a nearby member of the team.”

Kuroko seemed to realize how much potential the new pass he had created had as his eyes lit up. “That will be a very valuable passing method. I will try hard to perfect the Return Pass first. Thank you Akashi-kun.”

“No need to thank me, Tetsuya. You have improved greatly so far. Keep up the good work,” Akashi-kun congratulated as they reached the bus stop. The ride home went smoothly too.