Chapter 2

The Generation of Miracles Reincarnated

Chapter 2

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?" the whole Seirin team, consisting of eleven other people shouted in Kuroko's face, causing him to cover his ears. Kuroko expected them to be surprised, but not THIS surprised. Was he that weak until they thought he could not play with the other Generation of Miracles?

"Seriously, you do not have to shout. I am going deaf. As I said, I will not be able to participate in practices on Fridays as I have practices with the other Generation of Miracles. Could I please request an excuse for practices on Fridays?" Kuroko repeated, turning to Riko.

However, Riko's mouth was agape and she stood rooted to the spot, similar to the other team members. "Uh, kantoku (or coach, in English)?" Kuroko waved his hand in front of Riko's face.

"Hah? Uh, sure, I guess, as long as you are still part of Seirin's basketball team," Riko answered, but still in a half-daze. "But it's amazing, Kuroko-kun! I bet you guys are the youngest basketball Olympic team! Say, Kuroko-kun, would your captain mind if we watch your practice on Friday? We could learn a lot!" Riko asked, realizing that it would be a good opportunity to let the Seirin team watch their practice.

"I will ask Akashi-kun," Kuroko said. He would want Seirin to watch their practice too. With that, Kuroko ignored the team's stares, walked to the benches, sat down, and took out his phone to text Akashi-kun with a confirmation that he could attend practices and a request if Seirin could watch their practice.

The reply came almost immediately. Akashi-kun thanked Kuroko for his cooperation and agreed to Seirin coming on Friday, as long as they did not disrupt their practice.

"He said that we could go." Riko cheered.

After Kuroko assured the team that it was not such a big deal, the team continued with practice, running twenty laps around the court and practicing and refining their passing, throwing, receiving and shooting skills, though they were quite distracted, each imagining Kuroko playing in a heated match with the Generation of Miracles.

Kuroko was also partially distracted. He was bubbling with exhilaration and longing for Friday, which was three days away, to come.

Akashi Seijūrō stared at the five text messages he had received coincidentally almost at the same time. Skimming through them, he noted that they comprised of a confirmation that the other members of his going-to-be-formed team could make it to practices, not like anyone would dare to disobey his commands. Each text message had also a request by the respective teams, asking to observe their practice on Friday.

Sighing at the 'desperation' of each team, he texted them back, saying that they could, as long as no one disrupted their training. Though Akashi was in his own basketball practice at that time, he was the captain so he could excuse himself whenever he liked. But things would start to get busy for Akashi.

Maybe he should ask his vice-captain, Reo Mibuchi, to take over the team as captain until the Games were over. The team would function better together, knowing full well that the team feared their redheaded captain and would prefer Mibuchi as captain. Rakuzan's teamwork would improve tremendously.

Since when did the stoic Akashi think like that? Think about his team? He knew the reason why: Tetsuya had changed him. Akashi could still remember every single detail of the match clearly. In the last few seconds of the match, Akashi and Kagami were in the zone. It was Seirin's turn to start since Rakuzan had just scored a two-pointer, causing both teams' scores to be tied.

Shun Izuki, the 'Eagle Eye' of Seirin and also their Point Guard (PG) started off with the ball and expectedly threw it to Kagami. Even Akashi, using his Emperor Eye, predicted that he would continue to the hoop to score by himself, but Kagami did not even hesitate as he carelessly threw the ball behind him. Tetsuya caught the ball, startled, but continued with the game, passing it to another member, and to the next and next until it reached Kagami again.

He was about to dunk it in, so Akashi, who was marking him, jumped up. Kagami did not have the Right of Postponement like Kiyoshi Teppei had, but again, to Akashi's surprise, he threw the ball down carelessly again. This time, the PG of the team took the ball and threw it in as a buzzer beater.

After the match, Akashi had gone up to the Seirin team to congratulate them and also to ask them how they could possibly throw the ball randomly like that, thinking that it would not be stolen by the opponent.

Tetsuya had replied, "Akashi-kun, this is the result of teamwork. The trust between us is strong, so strong that we know that another would be there to take the ball."

It suddenly became so painfully obvious to Akashi the reason why Tetsuya had declined his offer for him to follow Akashi to Rakuzan. He was hurt then, but now he understood. The Teiko team lacked teamwork, lacked trust; they just wanted to do it all by themselves. No wonder Tetsuya went to Seirin. They were all basketball-loving idiots.

So Tetsuya wanted to win against the Generation of Miracles, to make them understand, and to change them back into the same idiots the Seirin team was. Yes, Tetsuya was the one that changed them.

After that match, Akashi loved basketball like he could not live without it. He realized that he had just played it for the sake of winning. Now he was playing to quench his thirst for basketball. Tetsuya, the shadow of the Generation of Miracles, has become the light to lead them.

"Hey, Akashi!" Kotarō Hayama called out to his captain, waking Akashi from his train of thoughts. Akashi walked back to his team.

"Everyone, I have news," he said loudly, even getting the attention of his coach. Akashi told them of the invitation to join the Olympic Games, about his new team and about Mibuchi being the new captain. "Is that alright?"

Everyone looked dumbfounded. "Seriously? I… can't believe it! That is so cool!" Hayama cried excitedly, clapping his hands, annoying Akashi somewhat.

"You want to make me… Captain?" Mibuchi stuttered. Akashi just nodded.

"… And you are teaming up with the Generation of Miracles? That's insane! Down right crazy! They are our opponents and you are teaming up with them? Are you leaving us?" Eikichi Nebuya shouted.

Akashi calmly replied, "No, Nebuya, I will still play for Rakuzan but I will skip Friday practices to practice with my other team. This is for Japan, thus the best players should come together to work together."

Everyone stood still, silent for a moment. "… What?" Akashi asked.

"Sei-chan, did you just use the word 'work together'?" Mibuchi asked. Akashi was startled at the remark but he nodded. "Did you change because of Seirin?" Again he nodded, albeit a bit embarrassed.

Then he felt arms encircling him. It was that annoying Hayama. But then Mibuchi did the same. Then the others did so too hesitantly. What was going on?! "You changed too!" Hayama shouted with joy. "Ya know, after that Seirin match, we all knew one thing: teamwork was what we lacked. We wanted to explain it to you but it seems you understood too!"

Akashi felt… weird. He was happy, somewhat, that his team was treating him like family. Was this how a team should feel like? Seirin seemed like this. No wonder Tetsuya liked Seirin so much and even declined Akashi's offer for him to come to Rakuzan.

After everyone got off, Akashi asked the coach once again to be excused from practices on Friday and he agreed. Akashi practiced with his team, but this time Mibuchi taking the lead, until six before leaving the school back to his house, which was shared with him and his father.

When he reached home, he typed out a letter of confirmation to the Ministry of Sports and posted it. Now the action starts. They were once again the unbeatable team.