Chapter 12

The Generation of Miracles Reincarnated

Chapter 12

"Tetsuya! How's your hand? What happened?" the teal-headed woman practically shouted at her son once they were on their way back to the Kurokos'. Tetsuya was a little shocked at the sudden 'outburst', so Akashi answered instead.

"We had a practice match against Kirisaki Daīchi and one of their members hurt Tetsuya. It was my fault for not knowing what they would do to him. I promise this will never happen again, Kuroko-san," Akashi replied.

"No, no, no! It isn't your fault, Akashi-kun. We must thank you for taking care of Tetsuya while we rushed back from work!" the brunette thanked. Akashi shook his head, but before he could rebut, the man continued, "Tetsuya, your mother and I are going for a business trip for a week tomorrow. Do you want us to cancel it?"

"There is no need. I think I can take care of myself," Tetsuya replied.

"I'll stay with Tetsuya while he is recuperating then. I can arrange for my homework to be sent to me here in Tokyo, so no worries. And meanwhile, I can make sure he eats properly," Akashi suggested. Tetsuya's eyes widened and Akashi could tell that he was going to refuse, so he added, "I think it would be the best compromise."

His parents both heaved a sigh of relief. "Really? Thank you so much, Akashi-kun!" Mrs. Kuroko thanked happily just as they turned the corner into the front porch of the house. "Ah, Tetsuya, for being so brave, I will make you a vanilla shake later! But firstly, you both should go change up."

Akashi followed Tetsuya up the stairs and before he could use his right hand to open the door, Akashi pushed it open for him and warned, "Left hand. Use your left hand instead, remember?" Tetsuya apologized.

The fluffy companion immediately jumped onto its owner, yapping enthusiastically his feet gleefully. "Nigō! I missed you so much!" Tetsuya reached down to ruffle his fur.

Akashi grabbed his arm. "Left." Tetsuya nodded, embarrassed, and used his left hand instead. Seeing the blue cast on its owner's wrist, the dog looked sad and licked Tetsuya's left hand instead. "Such irony, Tetsuya. I am going to be your shadow for now until you are completely healed. Do you need help changing?" Akashi asked.

"No," Tetsuya replied and proceeded to grab a shirt and pants from his closet and started to change. Well, it was not changing, since he could not get his shirt off without using his right hand.

Sighing, Akashi helped him out of his existing shirt and into his new one and did the same for his pants. "Don't be such a stubborn kid, Tetsuya. If you need help, just ask," Akashi reprimanded. "Let's go down for dinner, then you can tell me what you wanted to tell me." Tetsuya nodded and the both went down to be greeted by a mixture of smells.

Akashi could smell vanilla and assumed it was from the vanilla milkshake that Tetsuya's mother had promised to make, and there was a very familiar smell. It was his favourite food, tofu soup.

As both boys walked down the steps, Tetsuya's mother elatedly said, "Tetsuya! I made your favourite vanilla milkshake! And Akashi-kun, Tetsuya said that you like tofu soup so we made some for you as thanks!"

Akashi raised an eyebrow at Tetsuya. "Uh, Momoi told me that before…" Tetsuya mumbled, answering Akashi's silent question. They sat down around the table and this time, the talk was about Tetsuya's wrist. Akashi also had to occasionally remind his teal-haired friend not to use his right hand.

When they were done, Tetsuya's parents ordered the two younger boys to go bathe and then sleep, so they went back to Tetsuya's room. "Akashi-kun… Why didn't you send Momoi-san with me? Four people against ten is very risky," Tetsuya started the conversation as they arrived in his room.

"Hm? You were clutching onto my shirt so tightly and it seemed like you didn't want me to leave you, so I followed you to the hospital," Akashi replied. "Furthermore, it was good to give them pressure occasionally. Daiki and Atsushi went into the zone. Momoi messaged me just now about their progress."

"Oh… I am very sorry about making you go to the hospital with me, Akashi-kun," Tetsuya apologized, a faint blush threatening to form on his pale cheeks. "But, isn't quadrupling their score a little harsh? Kirisaki Daīchi only became so foul because they wanted to beat us. Hanamiya-san told me."

"Harsh? But we beat them fair and square, and they had twice the number of people playing against us," Akashi replied, finding his clothes in his basketball bag. He would have to arrange for his clothes and other items needed for his stay here to be transported to Tetsuya's house.

"If you beat them fair and square, it would not have been a problem, but you guys mock your opponents." Akashi was shocked. Did that have such a big effect on his opponents when he said that they were losers? Were they affected when he said that they should just give up? Tetsuya continued, "Perhaps you have lost too few times to understand but… in Seirin, Hyūga-sempai and Kiyoshi-sempai wanted to quit basketball after their middle school match with us. And Ogiwara-kun from Meiko Junior High. Did you know he was my childhood friend and after their match with us, he totally quit basketball?"

Again, Akashi was a little taken aback. At that time, Akashi taunted Ogiwara Shigehiro that his school was weak and even set the score 111-11 in their match against them. Apparently, they thought it was fun to do that. Akashi muttered, "I… did not know. I'm sorry, Tetsuya." He was still in shock but he knew he had to apologize to the people he had hurt unintentionally. He would also have to tell the others.

"It's alright. I was just ranting. You can igno—"

"No, it's not alright. I can't believe I did not know about this all these while." Akashi interrupted. "Tetsuya… Do you think your friend would forgive me if I apologize to him?"

"Wha…?" Tetsuya looked a little taken aback. He thought for a little while. "I guess I can text him to see when he is free… But, thank you, Akashi-kun."

"You don't have to thank me. I should be the one thanking you," Akashi said, feeling a little embarrassed. "Come on. We have to go bathe and since you can't wet your cast, Let's wrap it up with a plastic bag."

"What? No! I can just stick my hand out. I'd look ridiculous with a wrapped hand!" Tetsuya rebutted.

"Your hand would be tired. Wrap it up. You'd look equally retarded sticking your hand out of the shower," Akashi commented.

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes. I don't want your wound to be infected."

"No."

"Yes, or I'll prevent you from having milkshakes for the rest of the week."

"Fine!" Tetsuya finally gave up as Akashi smirked. Tetsuya was so fun to tease. Akashi then proceeded to grab a plastic bag and some rubber bands to wrap up Tetsuya's wrist.

"Shout if you need help. I'll be in your room," Akashi replied while Tetsuya walked into the bathroom. Akashi took out his phone to check his mail. There were a few things he had to clear up. Firstly, they needed reserves and he was waiting for the Ministry of Sports to reply if he could choose the reserves. Then they needed a coach, which again he had asked the Ministry of Sports if they could choose their own coach.

He checked his mail. They allowed both since their current basketball team members were retiring and they believed that we would work better with our own chosen coach and reserves. He saw another unread mail.

Their coach could make it to training tomorrow, it seems. The rest of the team would get such a big surprise at meeting their new coach: Kōzō Shirogane.