Chapter 18

The Generation of Miracles Reincarnated

Chapter 18

One and a half month passed by quickly. Within that time, Kuroko was almost slightly better than Midorima in Shogi, based on Akashi-kun's analysis. Since his right hand was in a cast, he was forced to use his left hand to write, thus making him ambidextrous. His teammates had also improved drastically under Akashi-kun's immense training and Shirogane-kantoku's torturous training.

It was once again a Friday. The rest of the team was having a practice match with another school that day and Akashi had insisted that he follow Kuroko to the hospital to remove his cast. Kuroko was happy yet a little nervous. Firstly, it was because he could finally get rid of the irritating piece of blue that made him look like a retard while bathing with a plastic bag over his wrist and for safety measures, even sticking his hand out of the shower (which looked hilarious). He was nervous too, because the next day, he knew he would get a hell load of training regimens from his coach.

Akashi-kun smirked at the troubled look of his teammate and roommate. Thinking about Akashi-kun, it also brought a sharp pain to his chest. For the whole one and a half month, Akashi-kun had skipped school and stayed with Kuroko to take care of him. He was so used to his captain's strong presence that he knew it would take a long time for him to get used to the empty space on the floor in his room when Akashi-kun would leave on Sunday morning.

Akashi-kun seemingly read his mind as he said, "Tetsuya, I will still be staying over on weekends, so do not fret." Kuroko could only nod as they sat in comfortable silence in the bus to the hospital.

They entered the large hospital and turned corners until they reached the appointed room. A doctor greeted them. Kuroko was actually surprised that they used a SAW to cut the cast open. He never knew they did that. Kuroko tried flexing his hands experimentally and tried moving his wrist. He felt completely fine although his right arms felt sore from the lack of exercise.

Kuroko smiled slightly. He could finally play basketball again and improve on the new method he had been trying to improvise. The doctor had given Kuroko more warnings about being more careful in the future and what not. Akashi-kun had also gained permission for both of them to head home once they were done in the hospital. He knew that his parents were waiting for him at home to celebrate his recovery.

That night, Kuroko's mother had made vanilla milkshake once again, to Akashi-kun's disapproval. However, he sighed in resignation and allowed Kuroko to drink his favourite drink anyway. That night, he was so fidgety until Akashi had told him to relax and go to sleep. He was very much excited to be touching an orange ball once again.

Kuroko awoke to someone trying to drag his body off his bed. Kuroko quickly opened an eye and the dragging stopped. "Oh. You're finally awake. Wake up sleepyhead, now you only have fifteen minutes to prepare," Akashi-kun smirked. Looking at the redhead, Kuroko noticed that Akashi-kun was already fully dressed and could go off anytime. By the looks of it, he seemed to have already finished breakfast.

Groaning Kuroko sat up to go wash up and smoothen down his hair. Last night he had been so excited until he could not sleep until past midnight, or so his time sense told him. Akashi-kun had already packed Kuroko's things for that day when Kuroko stepped out of the bathroom to head down to eat breakfast.

Nigō was yapping happily at his master and Kuroko bent down to stroke his fur. Realizing that he could use his right hand once again, he did so. He had to get back to getting used to using his right hand.

Akashi-kun walked down the stairs a little later than expected. He was looking around the house as he asked, "Tetsuya, do you have any table tennis balls or tennis balls?"

"Yes, I think I have some in the storage box in my room. Why do you ask?" Kuroko said. Akashi-kun thanked him and walked up once again and left him with a 'you will see later'.

When everyone had reached the stadium, Shirogane-kantoku announced, "Today, we shall be having mini-games!" Everyone looked confused. The coach smiled. "Instead of using basketballs to play, we are going to use other types of balls! Some can bounce and some cannot!"

Everyone had their jaws slack. Ignoring the bulging eyes of his team, Shirogane-kantoku continued by taking out balls from his bag and from Akashi-kun's. Kuroko could recognize a netball, a baseball, some other types of balls and the table tennis ball and tennis ball from his room.

"The netball is similar to a basketball, so we are going to use that as practice first!" Shirogane-kantoku said. It turned out that it really was quite similar, but it was softer and lighter, so Kuroko could pass the ball faster. Midorima and Mibuchi were having difficulties adjusting to the weight of the lighter netball.

Then the ball grew smaller in size. Dribbling became a problem. Most of the players had large hands to dribble a basketball, but as the ball grew smaller, they realized how difficult it actually was to keep the ball steadily bouncing back to the same height. Then there were balls that could not bounce. When one person caught it, he had to immediately pass it to the next person since dribbling was out of the question and there was the travelling rule in basketball, which only allowed for two steps while holding the ball.

Aomine-kun actually seemed to enjoy the challenge but as the size of the ball became smaller, he got more frustrated. After lunch, they continued with the exercise and the next and final challenge was playing basketball with a table tennis ball.

Everyone looked hilarious fumbling with the smallest ball in their coach's arsenal. It was so difficult to dribble that most just gave up on trying to dribble it. Furthermore, the ball was so bouncy that when Hayama-kun tried dribbling it, it flew high in the air and almost flew into one of the spectator seats. Hayama-kun had decided against trying to dribble it. The shooting guard of each team also had difficulties trying to shoot the ball since it was so light that a gust of wind could easily carry it anywhere. Thus, only those who could dunk were normally the people who scored.

Kuroko had tried out the new technique he was trying out on a table tennis ball. It was why he had it in the first place. It had worked on a table but in a game? He decided to test it out.

Kise-kun had just passed Kuroko the small table tennis ball. Kuroko looked like he was going to whack it into the waiting hands of Aomine-kun but when the ball hit the ground, it turned back to Kuroko and he whacked it to Akashi-kun who he knew would have the reflexes to catch it. Indeed, Akashi-kun caught it.

Kuroko wanted to continue running across the court before noticing all movements had stopped. Everyone was staring at him like he had done something unthinkable.

Aomine-kun muttered, "Tetsu… Just what in the world was that?"