Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

June 22nd – 8:12 A.M.

“Why are we eating ice cream when it’s not even nine in the morning?” I glance up from my spoon full of strawberry to give Noah a strange look.

He shrugs innocently before shoving a mouthful of chocolate ice cream into his mouth. “What the real question you should be asking is what is an ice cream parlor doing open at this time? If it’s open, then why not eat it?”

I shake my head sadly. “How do you even know about this place? It’s far away from town.”

Thoughtfully, he looks at the shack that we got the ice cream. “My dad used to take me here. I don’t really know how he knew about it. I think my grandfather used to take him here.”

“Oh, that makes sense.” I swirl some of the ice cream around with my spoon.

“Yeah. Plus, ice cream is a comfort food and you looked like you needed comfort so…Bam! Genius idea just popped into my genius brain.” He smirks.

I roll my eyes. “I was doing just fine where I was.”

“Yeah, I’m sure you were just fine shivering on the beach after dashing into the ocean with all your clothes on with your arms flailing.”

Narrowing my eyes, I contemplate chucking my spoon full of ice cream at him, but then decide that I won’t waste yummy goodness on him. “There wasn’t any flailing involved.”

He tilts his head to the side, causing his bangs to slide right into his eyes. They never fail to do that. “Drat. That would have made the scene just comedic epicness.”

I’m really starting to rethink chucking ice cream at him. “Ha ha ha, you’re so funny.

We go silent for a few minutes, before Noah decides to break it, and I desperately wish he hadn’t. “Are you and Logan, like, together now?”

I choke on the magical ice cream yet again. “Um, say what?”

“I mean…you hooked up the other day, so are you two dating now?” He bites his lip.

Fervently, I shake my head. “Um, no. That’s a major negative.”

“Oh. Huh.” His eyebrows knit together.

Logan and I are definitely not together. Isn’t that what I wanted just a few days ago, though? I think it’s just better to move on and find a new summer fling. Although, time’s dwindling away, and the only person I’ve really connected with is Noah. I wonder if there are actually any other teens in town apart from the “gang.” My stepmother seems to think there are, and Elena did mention something about some Lindsay chick. Huh. Maybe I should ask Noah.

“Noah, do you know a girl named Lindsay?”

As he bolts up in his seat, he pulls a Lila move and chokes on his ice cream. Huh. Who knew ice cream was so dangerous? They should really put a warning label on these things! “Lindsay? How do you know about Lindsay?”

“Elena mentioned her the other day. I was just wondering if there were any other teens in town.”

I’m expecting a joke like “What? Trying to get rid of our group or something?” and a smile, but instead, all Noah does is stare at the ice cream in front of him and go, “Uh…”

My lips purse. “What? Did I say something wrong?”

“No, no, Lindsay’s just…She’s not around anymore.” He rubs the back of his neck rather roughly.