Chapter Six

Chapter Six

June 15th – 5:58 A.M.

I stand in front on the marble countertop, wondering if I should eat a banana before I run. I don’t usually eat anything before I run, but last time I ran, I had a bad case of the munchies halfway through. Maybe it would be better if I ate before I ran. It’s food for thought. Oh, crap. Food.

“Lila?” My stepmother’s voice startles me out of my thinking. “Why are you staring at that banana like it holds all the answers in the world?”

Quickly, I turn to her. She’s dressed up for work in her pinstripe black suit, and her hair pulled back in a tight bun. “Um…just thinking about life while contemplating whether or not to eat a banana.”

She nods her head slowly. “Okay then.”

“Yeah…are you going to work now?” No, she’s just dressed for work while holding her briefcase and keys for fun! Wait, better yet, she’s really going off to the beach to go frolic in the water.

“Yes. I’ll be back for dinner tonight, though.” She gives me a hesitant smile.

“Oh, that’s good.” I give her a hesitant smile back.

She glances at the door. “I…should be going.”

“Yeah.” I lean against the counter.

Uncertainly, she heads to the door. “Uh huh.”

“I’ll see you when you get home then?”

“Yes, have a good day now, Lila.” With that remark, she opens the door and heads out.

When I hear the click of the lock, I release the breath I hadn’t realized I was holding. That was so awkward. I just don’t know what to say here. Something wouldn’t let me connect with her. I wish I could be like any normal stepdaughter, but it’s just hard. In the beginning, I had my dad pushing me to get along with her and forcing us to be with each other. To be truthful, I loved every moment of it. I treated her like the mom I never really had, but then it all changed after he died.

There was nobody to keep us together. She didn’t want to deal with the bitter daughter of her dead husband and shipped me off to my grandparents. I love my grandparents, but I needed a mother. I needed someone who was in as much pain as I was. What? That wasn’t a time when I needed the shrink’s counseling? I love how these people just pick and choose when I need one. I hate how they play God with my life. If I had any choice, I would just be on this beach, dealing with my issues on my own. She’s not even doing any shrinking, since she’s always gone. Some therapist she is.

Shaking my head of these thoughts, I realize I need to start running. It’s much later than my usual start time. I swiftly head out the door, locking the door behind me. My stepmother keeps telling me that I don’t have to lock the door, but I still don’t trust the sneaky little buggers in this town. I don’t care how friendly or cheery they seem, there has to be an axe murderer waiting in the shadows around here somewhere.  With my luck, he’ll set his axe-wielding sights on moi.

I crank up the volume on my iPod and instantly feel better as I start running. The calm breeze makes up for the humidity that’s clinging to the air and keeps the temperature nice. I just love these days. Usually, Chicago would be hot and sticky at this point if you didn’t head down near the Navy Pier. Here, the Gulf surrounds us and the breeze is constant. Part of me wishes I could stay here forever. No, Chicago’s your home. I want to shake that stupid inner voice and tell her nowhere is home, since home’s where the heart is and my heart doesn’t want to stay with anyone at this point. It’s a defiant little rebel.