Chapter Five

Chapter Five

June 14th – 8:07 P.M.

Fiddling with the hem of my white spaghetti-strapped tank, I wonder if there will actually be swimming at this beach party. It’s right next to the water, and I’m seriously hoping there is. As excited as I was as having a beach in my backyard, I have yet to step foot in the ocean yet. Taking a dip in there would be the perfect excuse to get away from these partying fools. If I get stuck in an uncomfortable situation, I just have to run screaming into the water. Sounds like a perfect plan.

As I jiggle the house keys in my denim short shorts, I turn the corner and spot the beach. I roll my eyes at the fact that the group is huddled around a boom box, plastic red cups in their hands. I look for a familiar brunette head, and am not sure whether I’m relieved or not when I don’t see Noah’s signature shaggy locks.

I sigh and know that I can’t put this off any longer. I make my way over to them, and Logan spots me before anyone else does. As he stands up, a broad grin lights up across his face. His smile blinded me from noticing the fact that he isn’t wearing a shirt, but just very loose swimming trunks. When I say loose, I mean they could fall off at any second. Sorry, hon, but I don’t want to get flashed. Even if the flasher’s adorable.

“Guys, Lila’s here. Why don’t you sit by me?” Logan sits back down and lightly shoves Chad away. Rolling his eyes, Chad obliges and scoots over enough to give me some room. Although, it appears they want to make me a s’more, since Chad’s muscles are way too big for me to be in a comfortable position.

“Hi, Lila!” Elena waves at me from her smashed position between Jay—I mean Cassie!—and Chase.

“Hi.” I give her a smile. She appears to be the friendliest person out of this whole group. I can see us potentially being friends. Maybe…if I ever work out my new antisocial personality problemos. With this weirdo bunch of people, that’s not looking too good.

“So, Logan was telling us that you love to run. Were you in the track team or whatever in your old school?” Elena does her best to lean forward, but just ends up getting even more smushed between Chase and Cassie.

Drats, the spotlight’s back on me. Seriously, haven’t they figured out I’m not group material? Even though I look like I belong, I can assure them I don’t. Well, at least with the way I’ve been acting lately. I’m really leaning toward they’re desperate for some new entertainment, and I just happen to be the lucky side show.

Everyone’s head turns my way, forcing me to contribute to the conversation. “Actually, I was on the dance team, so that totally interfered with the whole…track thingy.”

“Oh, I was the star of our dance team.” Flipping her tousled hair, Abigail sends a triumphant smile my way.

I stare blankly at her. Am I supposed to say something to that? Cheers to you? Thankfully, Chad saves me from having to say anything. “You call that dancing, Abs? That was more like ‘Oh, let’s twirl and add in some random strippers moves.’ You were the star, but that wasn’t dancing, hon.”

Abigail narrows her eyes. “Don’t call me hon, Chad. I’ll take you down.”

Chad raises an eyebrow and scowls. “I’m sure…”

Before an all-out brawl starts, Chase speaks up, “Anyone want to go for a swim?”

I’m too shocked that he didn’t say a pick-up line that I don’t go with him. Everyone murmurs their no’s, and he heads over to the gorgeous water. I wish that he hadn’t blind-sighted me with the lack of cheesiness, because then I would have willingly gone with him. Now I’m stuck here where Chad and Abigail are still arguing over whether or not Abigail dancing was considered professional or not. Even though I’ve never seen her dancing, I have to agree with Chad on this one, based off of her attitude of course.