Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

June 20th – 8:01 P.M.

I take a deep breath, as I knock on the door. It’s just a simple little party, Lila. It’s not the end of the world. You are going to go in there and hang out with Noah, bond with Elena, and find out if Logan really is summer fling material or not. If not…then you can give up on finding a fling and taking your mind off your crappy memories.

The door swings open a minute later and there stands Logan looking as rumpled as usual. His shorts are hanging loose on his hips, and his shirt is tight as if it’s the same kind he wore back in middle school. He gives me a cheeky grin and ushers me in. “I’m so glad you came, Lila. You’re looking gorgeous today.”

“Thanks.” I look between him and the doorway and notice that he’s not budging from his spot right in the middle of it. I’m going to have to brush past him and come into contact with him to get inside. Um, I think I’m fine just standing where I am, Logan, to be truthful.

Remember what you just said in mind talk, Lila? Three words: summer fling material. If you never touch him, you’ll never know how it feels. Yeah, that sounded wrong, but oh well. Ignore it and suck it up, girlie!

Leave it to the annoying voice in my head to be just as messed up as myself and come up with awesome nonsense like that. That was just beautiful wisdom that it imparted on me. Although, it’s right to a certain extent. I never thought I would ever say that.

“Aren’t you going to come in?” Logan gives me a flirty smile and raises his eyebrows suggestively. I feel like I’m overloaded with the flirt factor already, and I’ve only been here for a minute!

“You know that sounded extremely creepy? Anyway, yeah, I always wait for an invitation to come in, since I’m totally a vampire and need to wait for that.”  I roll my eyes and brush past him into his living room. Drat, no sparks. I’ve liked guys before and there hasn’t been any sparks, but…in the end, a person needs fireworks to make a relationship work.

I glance around the living room, and sitting on the plush chairs, large couches, and fuzzy floor are the “gang.” I can’t help but think of a bunch of thugs running around in a random color throwing rocks at old people whenever I hear that word. Now I’m using it as term of endearment. In what world is that okay?

I give a quick wave to them and pretty much fling myself next to Elena who’s sitting on the floor next to Chase. I’m afraid to sit anywhere else. She gives me a smile, and I find myself smiling back. “Hi, Lila! How are you doing today?”

After I gaze around the living room, I’m amazed I never realized how weird it was the first time I was in here. There are African masks adorning each wall with pictures of Logan and Mrs. Asher covering up all the wall space that the masks don’t cover. The carpet is a lovely shade of puke green, and the curtains have a tribal pattern on them. Yeah…I’m starting to feel like I’m on a bad acid trip. What kind of interior designing is this?

Logan starts to head toward the open spot next to me, but Chase slides down from his perch on the couch to the available space beside me. “Hi, the voices in my head said to come over and talk to you.”

Blankly, I stare at him. Could he possibly know about the nagging voice in my head that talks to me whenever I least want it to? No, you idiot, it’s a pickup line! Now say something and don’t look like a dummy.

Finally, I just roll my eyes. “You’re such a silly goose.”

Elena giggles beside me. “‘Silly goose’? What kind of term is that?”